Skip to main content

Constipation Solutions and Challenges

//Constipation Solutions and Challenges
Constipation Solutions and Challenges2014-02-07T11:01:58+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Constipation Constipation Solutions and Challenges

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

What helps you with constipation and what hasn’t helped?

gie
    Participant

Some things that have helped me with constipation are 200-400 mg magnesium citrate, juice of half a lemon in warm-hot water with breakfast (used to add honey sometimes but will switch to dextrose), roasted or boiled red beets added to a green salad (though not sure of their FP), getting enough water throughout the day.

ydeetje
    Participant

Still looking for a solution. The warm water wirh lemon doesn’t help me enough and the magnesium doesn’t either. But I just started this diet. I am on SCD and it appears that I also had a FODmap problem. So now thatI bought your book and started to do rhings different! I guess it will take some time before things settle and my constipation will dissapear. I guess I will have to be patient.
    Been taking to much of the allowed SCD food.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Keep us posted Ydeetje.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

gie, I agree. Mag citrate has a pretty good track record and water is a must. I also recommend checking all medications and supplements for links to constipation and including extra fats in your diet such as marbled meats, coconut oil, fatty fish, and olive oil.

ydeetje
    Participant

I do take 1 tavlespoon of olive oil and warm water when I get up, first rhing, and vefore I go to bed. That way, what comes out, comes with no pain 🙂

ydeetje
    Participant

Pfffttt. Sorry for the writing mistakes. My brain workes faster then my fingers ..lol

gie
    Participant

Oh and another thing that is helpful for me is getting enough carbs which has been the main challenge for me on this diet so far. From my experience trying others diets like GAPS and paleo I’ve learned that I do poorly on low carb even on days that I’m less active. Any suggestions for getting more low FP carbs? I need a minimum of 200 mg per day but I’m an athlete and need about double that or more on or after practice days/games/weight training. Eat more jasmine rice than the regular recommendations? Sweeten my drinks with dextrose? Any other ideas? Thanks!

Lana
    Participant

I bake with Sweet Rice Flour which is made from sticky (glutinous) rice: http://www.bobsredmill.com/sweet-white-rice-flour.html
    There is 80 grams of carbs in 1/2 cup so if you use it for baking in combination with Dextrose you’d be getting a good punch of carbs.
    The texture of baked goods made with this flour is odd – kind of spongy. I find using a 50/50 mix of sweet rice flour and almond flour gives better results. You can add an extra egg white to dry out the batter as well.
    If you’re eating high carb after a workout you might want the fast absorption but for everyday consumption you might want to add enough fat to slow down those very quickly absorbed carbs. Or eat the baked goods AFTER a high fiber meal (eg. a salad) – fat and fiber slows down absorption of sugars.

Jaeme
    Participant

I see pumpkin is a low FP food, and pure pumpkin puree (not pie mix) is recommended to cure constipation in dogs. I tried this, and it worked quite well on the dog! So, maybe the same for us humans?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Interesting. I hope it works as we can’t have too many solutions to this frustrating condition.

JI
    Participant

To gie: Regarding the FP of beets, 1/2 cup chopped raw have a GI of 64, 4.5 g of carbs, and 2 g of fiber. Therefore, the FP for 1/2 cup chopped raw beets is 3.62, 4 if you round it up.

gie
    Participant

Thanks for the carb suggestions, Lana, and for the FP of beets, JI! I’ve been weighing and tracking my low FP carbs for about a week and making sure I get around 200 grams a day and it has kept me completely regular without having to use magnesium citrate or any of my other tricks. Hooray for fast tract carbs!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Norm – You show cellulose as a low potential for fermentability. Would this be the same for methylcellulose, which is the component of Citrucel?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good question Jaeme. According to this study the fermentability of methylcellulose is very low. http://bit.ly/1ofxOT7

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.