Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Constipation constipation increases my GERD and LPR

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have started to notice a pattern. When I am constipated I experience significant more GERD and LPR symptoms. More burping etc. I am wondering if the lower constipation can also lead to a push of material and gases upward. Seems like that is what is happening to me. My symptoms subside when I have more normal movements.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Elle,
    I have noticed the same at times. When motility slows (or stops), you can imagine that the chyme just sits there and ferments. And you can also imagine its harder for gas to pass through the normal route – flatus. Belching and reflux will therefore be increased.

Briana
    Participant

I’ve had chronic constipation my entire life. Why then could it just now (at age 46) be affecting LPR? Also, I spent several years taking Mirulax daily (prescribed by gastro doc for IBS-C) and it was during those years taking the daily dose that I began experience LPR – when the Muralax actually helped me feel as thought I was eliminating normally – daily.

I no long take Muralax because of the controversy – petroleum derivative.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Here’s one possibility although there are others as well. As we age, it’s likely that digestion becomes less efficient for many of us and we therefore suffer higher levels of malabsorption. Some people have good luck with magnesium citrate.

Briana
    Participant

And I must keep that in mind – all that comes with the aging process, even at the age of 46. 😉
    I am happy to report that a daily magnesium citrate supplement, along with powdered Vit C Ascorbate in the morning on an empty stomach has been most helpful. Thanks, Norm!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.