Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Laryngopharyngeal Reflux – LPR Constipation and probiotics

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Bearsmom etc.
    This is not about IC but about constipation. Wasn’t sure where to post it. I have followed your advice and gotten a couple of Natren products. I do have a medical intuitive I consult with. He looked over the Natren products and recommended the megadophilus and Healthy Trinity. Wow, they sure are expensive! I thought VSL was expensive but am stopping that and switching to these two. Do you think I should do one at a time. I do find them difficult to take since you are supposed to take before meals and two hours away from other herbs. I take other herbs before I eat, so a little confused when to take. Guess will take in between meals, two hours away from other herbs.

I am doing great with my LPR and main symptom, which was shortness of breath, seems to be mostly gone since going on Dr. Robillard’s FP diet. Amazing! But it is a whole new thing for me to give up grains and so have been dealing with constipation. I never had that before. I am hoping by drinking lots of water, eating a lot of green veggies–and veggies in general, and taking the probiotics, that that will help.

At night I take a liquid magnesium from Carlson and two ayurvedic triphala herb. This past week I have had to add Swiss Kriss, which is a senna herbs, however, I have read that people do well with that, even can take over long periods of time.
    Also have added the Natren. I do hope the megadophilus will not work in reverse!!

I have also switched from a Green Drink that has many things in it, Vitaminerals, to Spirulina Manna, also by Health Force.

Other than the constipation, the diet has really healed my symptoms and have been reading a lot about low-carb diets in general, which is very educational. I always thought I was doing so well eating all those healthy grains (quinoa, basmati rice, etc) and now find out not very good at all.

This forum has helped so much and do appreciate any input as to this constipation issue. Also about the probiotic question.

Jules
    Participant

Hullo fasttracklady

I have found juicing vegetables to be the answer for my constipation problems which stretched back over a decade. Typically I would go for 3-4 days with nothing happening. Psyllium husks worsened things considerably. Two to three tablespoons of olive oil with some freshly squeezed orange juice gave me suboptimal results but better than nothing.

From the day I started juicing a quarter of cup of mixed veges three times a day before meals I became regular. I didn’t start juicing with constipation in mind but to get more goodness into me minus the fibre. Nature even calls mid breakfast these days! I was amazed given my poor track record of the previous decade. To test if my success was all about the juicing I stopped it for two days and became constipated. It took two days of juicing again to get me back on track and it was like turning on a light switch. I’m still in awe actually. I dropped all grains from my diet last December so in my case eating grains did not contribute anything positive to my constipation woes and possibly worsened them. I may experience the odd day of not being regular but to date it is only every now and then.

I bought a cold press juicer to get the maximum nutrition from juicing. Centrifugal juicers create heat which is said to destroy some of the goodness of the veges in the process.

I’m not taking any probiotics products but do eat small amounts of yoghurt after each meal at the moment.

If you get really stuck (no pun intended) with this problem, juicing veges could be the answer.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Thanks, sounds great and something I may try. I do have a Vitamix and could use that. I also have an Acme juicer that I used to make carrot juice with but carrots too high FP now. What veggies do you find work the best?

Jules
    Participant

Before breakfast I combine carrot and celery. Before lunch and dinner I’ve been combining 3 or 4 from the following: cucumber, cabbage, round beans, raw beetroot, broccoli, broccolini, cauliflower. I’m cutting back to juicing twice a day now (before breakfast and lunch) to see if that works as well. Good luck!

fasttracklady
    Participant

Thanks, Jules. I assume you cook all first? ie round beans? What type of beans is that? I thought beans weren’t allowed.

Thanks, will try this. Using milk of magnesia now but not sure can use all the time.

Jules
    Participant

None of the veges I juice are cooked. They are juiced in their raw state. In Australia we have what we call round beans which are not legumes as such – they are long in length and a round shape and are classed as a vegetable. You can see them here – http://www.farmfreshgrocer.com.au/product/beans—round-250g/69

I hope juicing works for you too.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Just some more comments on the constipation issue (I think I am ‘getting’ kind of where to post things now 🙂

I have taken Jules suggestion and just starting to juice some veggies. Yesterday I juiced with my Acme juicer yellow summer squash, zucchini, green beans, one piece of celery and a small piece of carrot. Added a drop of pure SweetLeaf stevia to it (the one without the inulin). It was very yummy and look forward to trying it some more and see how it works. Thanks to Jules for the suggestion.

I have also added some ayurvedic herbs for digestion prescribed by my herbalist. And trying a couple of Zypan (by Standard Process) before protein meals.

I do take Liquid Magnesium at night along with triphala (ayurvedic herb) and that used to always work when I was eating grains a lot. However, not since I have been on FastTract diet (which by the way has healed my symptoms of LPR very well–mostly shortness of breath etc is all gone). The magnesium hasn’t worked lately and that is why I am looking for other solutions and have been perusing this website.

I took Milk of Magnesia because so backed up and that, along with the other things I just added the last few days, has worked too much, so will definitely be eliminating that.

I also have switched from VSL#3 probiotic at bearsmom’s advice to Natren products (chose megadophilus and trinity probiotic). They are hard to take as have to take two hours away from any other herbs and I do take herbs with most meals and at bedtime. (I have hepatitis c in remission from using these ayurvedic herbs that heal the liver.) However, I manage to fit the probiotics in and hope they will help. They are super-expensive, even more than VSL3, which I thought was expensive, but am giving them a try in the meantime while I am adjusting to the new diet and way of eating.

Thanks so much to bearsmom for sharing the gutsense.org site. Wow, what a wealth of information! I couldn’t stop reading it and have ordered his book on fiber. It also changes everything I always thought was true. I was surprised he says you don’t need to drink eight glasses of water per day!! But should get from other veggies and foods. I can’t wait to get his book. To me, it is totally revolutionary about how I always thought about constipation, fiber, water, etc and do hope it turns out to be accurate.

I am unsure whether I am able to take his product, Hydro-C, which he recommends for constipation, supposedly with none of the side effects of other constipation remedies. I thought perhaps instead of the Carlson liquid magnesium and the triphala or possibly in addition. I know some people can’t take because of interstitial cystitis, however, I do not have that problem and so wonder if that product would be okay for me. Here is the link:
    https://www.gutsense.org/store/hydroc.html

I would love to hear from Dr. Robillard or bearsmom or anyone who knows if this is okay for people with LPR. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for this fantastic forum. It has been a major education.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Oops, I just posted a long note on what I have been doing, pressed ‘submit’ and it seems to have disappeared. I will try to write it again!

Number one, thank you to Jules for the suggestion of juicing veggies. Yesterday, I juiced zucchini, yellow summer squash, green beans, a piece of celery and one small piece of carrot. I added a drop of stevia from Sweetleaf (the one without the inulin) and it was really yummy! Will keep doing and hope it works.

I have also added some ayurvedic herbs. I have also switched from VSL3 probiotic to Natren products as recommended by bearsmom. I got the megadophilus and the Healthy Trinity. You have to take them two hours away from other herbs, which is a little difficult, since I take a lot of herbs, however, I am managing and hope that helps.

I am trying Zypan also, which is supposed to help you digest your food. Many people rave over this.

Thank you so much to bearsmom for the website gutsense.org. It has been fascinating reading about all the misconceptions we have about constipation re fiber and drinking lots of water, etc. I am wondering if one of the products mentioned there would be good to take. Now I take Liquid Magnesium and triphala, which always worked before, but not since following the new FP points diet and giving up all grains. https://www.gutsense.org/store/hydroc.html I know it is not good if you have interstitial cystitis, however, that is not an issue with me. Would love to get an opinion as it looks like a great product.

fasttracklady
    Participant

Just was perusing the great site gutsense.org.

I am wondering if the product shown on that website is any conflict with the FP diet:

https://www.gutsense.org/store/hydroc.html

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.