Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Conflicting app and FP calculator values for rice products

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello Dr Robillard,

I bought your app and it says jasmine rice is FP 0. When I put the nutrition information in the calculator, as instructed, for a jasmine rice product it says the FP is 27.

I tried multiple jasmine rice products in the calculator and they were all high. I ate jasmine rice for lunch based on what the app said and I reacted badly so I put the numbers in the FP calculator to see why, and I got a score of 27. I got the same results using the calculator on your site also
    https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-qld-metro-robina-central/product/sunrice-thai-hom-mali-jasmine-rice

I tested it also with Rice milk, Australia’s own. The app says it is FP 3 but when I enter the total CHO of 27 and GI of 50 into the calculator it said the FP is 13. https://australiasownorganic.com.au/rice-milk/

Can you please let me know if I am doing something wrong in my calculation because my physical reaction and my calculations do not correspond to scores in the app food list.

Thank you.
    Rebecca

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Rebecca,
    To get an accurate FP value, you need to include the glycemic index which is 94 for jasmine rice. That’s an average of several GI determinations on glycemicindex.com. For other products you must do the same. If you don’t have a published GI, you can use “50” which will give you an estimate of the FP for lower carb foods, but will not be very accurate for high carb foods because the GI matters much more for high carb foods.

As for you reacting to the rice, keep in mind that the GI determination is measured in “healthy people”. Some of us with digestive issues may not be able to digest even low FP high starch foods, especially when you are just starting the diet. So jasmine rice while better than say Uncle Ben’s, can be problematic. Check out the trouble-shooting tips in the books and apps about eating slowly, chewing well, limiting serving size and reducing all carbs for a time. Later, you can try again. In general, less is more when it comes to high carb, high starch foods. Digestive enzymes can help as well.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.