Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Combining high GI foods with fats = lower GI?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi there,

I was reading an article recently that talked about how combining high GI foods with fats lowers the GI of the overall meal by inhibiting gastric emptying and slowing digestion.

Here’s the link to the article: http://www.gnolls.org/1029/fat-and-glycemic-index-the-myth-of-complex-carbohydrates (scroll to the section called “Answer: it’s the fat.”)

To quote the article: “The primary driver of glycemic index is fat content. The more fat, the slower the sugars (‘carbohydrates’) are digested, and the lower the glycemic index.”

So I’m wondering how this relates to the FTD? For example, a French baguette has a high GI and low FP. But if I eat that baguette with fatty Brie cheese (yumm!), it sounds like that will effectively raise the FP of the baguette by slowing down my digestion and giving the bad bacteria more chance to chow down on my baguette (hands off, you buggers!).

Hope you can shed some light on this conundrum for me.

Thanks!
    Dave

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi DK, I agree – fats can decrease the glycemic index. While this is true, I still maintain it’s better to consume higher GI carbs than lower for avoiding GI symptoms. The GI of jasmine rice is much higher than basmati rice. Even though the GI of both can be influenced by fat, I would rather take my chances with the jasmine rice. The same comparison can be done between any carbohydrate-containing foods. They test for the GI of any food using a 50 gram net carb servings (without added fat) comparing the results to 50 grams of glucose in each case. I love Jay’s site, but the argument in the article is flawed in one respect when it makes the point that white and wheat bread have higher GIs than table sugar. The reason is the presence of fructose in table sugar which has a very low GI. The reason both are similar to one another likely has more to do with the milling of the flour.

dkoo761
    Participant

Thanks Norm, that makes sense.

Lana
    Participant

An interesting query… I would surmise that because the GI is most often indicative of starches/sugars that readily break down, even with the addition of fat, these starches and sugars are still digesting easily and will therefore be absorbed quicker than other starches and sugars that don’t break down as readily (amylose/fructose). The key, as Norm points out in his book, is to not eat a lot of them at one sitting!
    But then there are those foods like french bread that have a high GI not because of the type of starch but because of the nature of it – it is made with flour – ground grain, which increases the GI and unlike other breads, it is made without fat to give it that awesome texture. So then you eat it with Brie and you pretty much have the same product as regular bread made with fat.
    Yup, it’s a head scratcher! I really think it comes down to quantity eaten at one sitting. Try as we might to come up with substitutes for those goodies we love, we still need to limit those dense carb foods – even the high GI ones.
    Here’s a nice way to eat brie: http://www.bite.co.nz/recipe/8397/Chicken-salad-with-brie-and-toasted-almonds/
    Looks good hey?!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.