Skip to main content

Coffee and Small Meals

//Coffee and Small Meals
Coffee and Small Meals2014-04-08T12:50:28+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD Coffee and Small Meals

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

When using the Fast Track Digestion diet, should I continue to avoid large meals?
    What about coffee? In the book it say’s it’s okay but apart from having no FP (Black Coffee) does Coffee still irritate the LES? What’s people’s experience? I’ve had an endoscopy and I’ve been diagnosed with a Lax LES (Doesn’t close).

I’d like to know opinions on the conventional ways of avoiding GERD compared to just staying with a low FP diet. Or should we mix both ways of eating together?

I look forward to your reply’s and hope I get some feedback from Norm 🙂

Thanks,
    Jason.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Not overeating is the best approach. But there is no reason to eat small meals that leave you hungry. Coffee doesn’t bother most people if they are eating low FP. I know of one person that believes coffee, even without sugar or high lactose milk contributes to his reflux. There is an unproven idea that caffeine relaxes the LES. Also, recently, I came across some info suggesting that coffee may actually contain some fermentable carbs 2-4 grams, but can’t put my finger on the source at the moment. In general, a couple of cups of coffee per day should not be a problem.

As far as combining approaches, trying one approach at a time makes better sense to me. It’s easier to determine if the approach works.

JI
    Participant

Hooray for coffee! I have taken to drinking my coffee with lots of lightener (cream or coconut milk) added and warmed by adding boiling water. i guess I started having my weakened coffee when I heard that it was bad for GERD. I have grown accustomed to my wimpy coffee and now like it! I’m going to bring up the topic of dry red wine. My doctors all say that it is a no-no with GERD; but I don’t find that it bothers me. I think the secret is moderation; no more than two 5 to 6 oz. glasses.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Jason – I was so glad to have coffee back! I did keep to decaf for a while. I have it with lots of cream now – heaven! Also, all of the other food “no-no’s” like tomatoes seem to be fine while on the FT diet, because the gases that cause the reflux to push up are controlled. Yes, keep to smaller meals and do not eat within about 3-4 hours of bedtime or even drink a lot of water before bed. I have not raised the head of my bed, but doing so is supposed to help.

jasonking92
    Participant

So today I tried a half teaspoon of coffee, black with no sugar in-between meals.
    The result: I had minor upper stomach pain, no burning in the chest or extreme reflux issues.
    I’ve been on a low FP diet for 2 weeks now and I’ve been keeping it under 20 FP. What do you think the cause of this is?

Pompadur
    Participant

Hi jasonking92,
    i have erosions in my esophagus and it seems to me that coffee irritates me.
    I think that coffee, alcohol and spices are irritants in the case that your mucus is very inflamed or erosed (as it is in my case). Maybe all these things don’t make the problem worse, but they give pain when they touch the wounds.

Personally i love coffee and i keep drinking it once or twice per day but i must admit that sometimes pain in my chest get worse after it (i always drink black coffee without additives).

jasonking92
    Participant

Yeah it seems a lot irritates mine as well. I just want it healed! It’s so frustrating. If I stay on the low FP diet, will it eventually heal it’s self?

Greer
    Participant

Great to hear about how everyone is going…

I find that a short black coffee with warmed cream and dextrose is heavenly – I have just one a day and it is what I drink if I go out to cafes (you can really tell who uses good coffee drinking short blacks!).

My issue is LPR which has really been tamed using FTD (thanks Norm) and I do not find my one a day coffee causes any problems – I do sometimes have a ‘cold’ feeling in my stomach after it but it seems other food causes this too – not quite sure what this is from. I had that feeling nearly all the time in the first few weeks after starting on FTD…

saffyhoward
    Participant

Pompadur, I agree with you about coffee, spices etc are very irritant to an inflamed and tender oesophageal mucosa. I also find anything too hot or food that is not chewed properly very irritating. Nowadays I chew everything until is almost liquid and drink only tepid coffee. I’m quite used to it now and it saves a lot of discomfort!

Pompadur
    Participant

A new study about coffee:
    “there are no significant relationship between coffee consumption and the four major acid-related upper gastrointestinal disorders.”
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23776588

Though coffee still can irritate existent erosions i guess…

jasonking92
    Participant

Interesting study!
    I had an odd moment with coffee today. I usually drink it between breakfast and lunch. But today I had lunch. stomach pressure coming on and was annoyed because I’ve been so good with my diet. I drank a cup of coffee. The pain disappeared and my reflux stopped. Can anyone explain this? I certainly can’t!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.