Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Recipes Chocolate Cherry Bliss Bars

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I may try these, substituting dextrose for the honey,and possibly omitting the cherry preserves, depending on the FP.

Chocolate Cherry Bliss Bars with Sea Salt

{makes 9 squares}

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cup almond meal or flour {either one will work in this recipe}
    1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt + more for finishing
    1/4 cup honey
    1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/3 cup cherry preserves {or your favorite preserves, I’ve used raspberry too and it’s delish}

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all of the dry ingredients and whisk together vigorisouly to combine well. Next add in the wet ingredients and a firm yet sticky and wet cookie dough will form.

Line an 8 x 8 brownie pan with parchment paper and evenly distribute the cookie batter. The batter will be a little sticky, so take your time spreading this out evenly. Gently spread the preserves over the top and bake for 30 exactly minutes. Remove from the oven, finish with a pinch more sea salt over top, cool completely and serve.

JI
    Participant

Giving credit to the recipe source: withfoodandlove.com

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

They look delicious. You might experiment with erythritol. Check out the update in my article on sweeteners. https://digestivehealthinstitute.org/2012/10/30/sweets-and-sweeteners-trick-or-treat/.

Lana
    Participant

One day soon I’m going to try making a honey alternative out of dextrose. Honey, by law, should have only 18% moisture to prevent fermentation so that means a glucose syrup will need a concentration of 82% to be equivalent in moisture content. Problem is – glucose loves to crystallize so it will probably need to be made fresh each time you use it. Too bad.
    Take note that glucose syrups that you can buy aren’t actually made from glucose! “A typical glucose syrup contains 19% glucose, 14% maltose, 11% maltotriose and 56% higher molecular mass carbohydrates.”

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Interesting Lana. I wonder what is meant by “higher molecular mass carbs”? I should ask some Armenians in my neighborhood who routinely make a baklava type treat using some kind of sugar syrup. Likely sucrose, but it’s very concentrated and seems to have to properties of honey. So that might at least be a partial proof of principle.

Lana
    Participant

I think the higher molecular mass carbs are oligosaccharides.
    Too bad.

JI
    Participant

Thanks for the information about erythritol, Norm! Do you think it has an advantage over dextrose when used for baked goods? I do love to bake!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Both glucose and erythritol look like good alternative sweeteners to me, but I don’t yet have experience with erythritol.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I suppose it depends on what type of oligosaccharides.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.