Skip to main content
Chick Pea flour??2014-12-03T19:58:23+00:00
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

If chick peas have a low/moderate FP value than is it possible to use chick pea flour? I just started the diet so it is too early for me to try chick peas. Has anyone experimented with this? I know you can make pancakes or a flat bread type dish with it so I’m hoping it might be something I can have in the future.

sivert
    Participant

Chick peas are listed as high risk in the book (FP is 27 g per 150 g), so it’s probably not a good idea to eat them. Last time I had a small amount of them, I was really sick. I followed the low FODMAP diet at the time, which allows a certain amount – I had about half of that, and that was still way too much.

But if you are craving pancakes, you could make a pancake batter out of low-FP rice boiled in lactose free milk. When that is cooled off, mix in egg and fry as pancakes. I don’t have a recipe handy, but that’s what is know as “klatkager” in Denmark

Nansense
    Participant

Thanks, Sivert. Are you from Denmark? I’ve been there and loved it, and the food. The recipe sounds interesting. I’m going to try it after I get a handle on my LPR. I’m hoping this diet works soon.

ftder
    Participant

Sivert I love that idea! You can also substitute CREAM for the milk in that rice mixture (haha, can you tell I like cream?) I really like things that are less processed. You could also use unsalted butter.

For a pancake I am going to play with the mixture of eggs/pureed pumpkin, pumpkin pie spices, and a fat such as mild olive oil, melted butter or splash of cream for the pankcake. I always see banana/egg pancake recipes on Paleo blogs, and bananas are a no-go, but pumkin would be a nice addition. For small batches of pankcake you can add an optional pinch of baking powder which would help these ingredients do their thing.

Nansense
    Participant

How is it that hummus is part of the plan but chick peas are not? Did I miss something. Actually I was surprised when I saw hummus in the list of approved foods as legumes have resistant starch. Beans, in general, give me gas pains. That is why I became interested in the plan. It made sense to me.

ftder
    Participant

Nansense, check the amount of hummus measured to calculate that particular FP. It is a small amount. Since hummus contains tahini and additiona fats, and is strong in flavor, it is possible with low/no symptoms, that a small amount (as in used as a spread, or a few rice crackers dipped in) might keep people out of symptom range. A cup of chick peas, however would be more problematic. An example would be if it was offered at a party and you had two celery sticks dipped in hummus, V. a bowl of chickpea salad. It is the same strategy that Norm uses when thinking about apples and pears. A single slice or wedge may be ok. A whole apple, maybe not.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.