Skip to main content

Chewing Gum and Enzymes

//Chewing Gum and Enzymes
Chewing Gum and Enzymes2014-07-01T13:45:23+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Chewing Gum and Enzymes

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Two queries in one really. I definately have problems digesting fatty and protein foods at the moment, although my SIBO/reflux symptoms are definately getting slowly better… so am supplimenting with ezymes and Betaine HCL at the moment.

Are plant based Digestive Enzymes harder on the stomach than others? I am taking Proactazyme which lists beet root fiber, caraway seed, dandelion root, fennel seed, gentian root and ginger rhizome along with the more traditional Enzymes found in most products. Is this likely to be too high a fiber load for me if I’m taking 2 with every meal. I am about to switch brands, so I guess I’ll find out. But lately I’ve noticed a return of regular heart burn.

Second thought/question is does anybody know of a chewing gum brand that is ok FP-wise? I was just using normal sugar-free gum, which seemed to help post-meal (perhaps stimulating digestion), until I read Norm’s post on sweeteners to avoid. Then I stopped! Unfortunately can’t find any gum that has the good stuff (like Dextrose, stevia) and not the bad stuff (Xylotol, Sucralose, etc).
    Anybody found something??

Kelly
    Participant

What I’ve read about digestive enzymes is that the plant-based ones work better, can’t remember why. However, I doubt the other ingredients you listed are actually enzymes — they probably have other components that help digestion.

I use Enzymedica Digest Basic and it seems to help. When I forget I don’t feel so good.

danb1
    Participant

To return to the Vegetable based enzymes in Proactazyme, I am faring much better on a brand without the additional herbal ingredients. Just wanted to point that out for anyone who finds this. This is leading me to believe that these kinds of digestive enzymes can be a bit harsh on a sensitive gut.

Jaeme
    Participant

I’ve had really good results from an enzyme product labeled for “sensitive stomachs” called Acid Ease by Enzymatic Therapy (do not confuse with antacids by same name). It has only amylase, lipase, & cellulase for enzymes (no protease, which is very hard on inflamed stomach). It does contain some marshmallow root & slippery elm, which coat & soothe the stomach, and gamma-oryzanol from rice which also heals. I have healed so well I was able to add a Betaine HCL supplement and now have even eaten regular foods at restaurants lately when I didn’t have any of the above with me, and no symptoms. I am so pleased with the results of the FT diet and these digestive aids – 99% of my LPR symptoms have disappeared, I feel great and back to normal. I still stick to lower FP foods and keep higher FP foods to small portions, but a very livable life and so far no LPR.

Kelly
    Participant

Jaeme, great to hear about your results! Where did you read that protease enzymes are hard on an inflamed stomach? I haven’t noticed problems with my enzyme supplement, but possibly that explains some things and I just haven’t made the connection.

OTOH, I’ve read that mucilaginous plants like slippery elm & mallow are bad for autoimmune disorders and leaky gut, which are closely related. From this post & one of the first comments: http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/05/modifying-paleo-for-autoimmune.html (the book discusses it more) And SIBO often causes leaky gut, so it seems they could be an issue for many people following FTD.

Jaeme
    Participant

Forgot to include probiotics above as well.

Can’t remember where I read about protease, but Norm agreed when I posted about it on a previous forum thread. I tried a broad-spectrum enzyme supplement including protease early in the program and had stomach pain. Switched to the no protease version above and no pain.

Have not read about the mucilaginous plants causing issues, only coating & soothing (except for possibly IBS-specific issues). The Acid Ease has very small amounts, and I have been taking extra marshmallow root with no problems. I was taking DGL, but dropped it after initial improvement due to possible cortisol level increase.

When I felt good enough to add the Bet. HCL (Zypan by Standard Process) I started with one a day at my heaviest protein meal, then one per meal. Began doing really well after that- started adding in “no-no” foods, like pizza, and no issues so far (again, keeping in small potions).

Jaeme
    Participant

Oh, and lots of kefir too.

JI
    Participant

Jaeme, I am so happy that you are doing so well! It gives hope to everyone that things can and will get better once you find what works for you.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks JI! I had a lot of twists & turns in finding what worked, but glad I finally found the right combination. As Norm has said, everyone’s gut flora is as unique as they are, so the solution is too I guess. The FT diet is a great start by helping you get a good baseline and then adding foods back in to find your triggers. Then adding the things mentioned above has worked well for me – I even put my weight back on. I wish everyone here the same! 🙂

danb1
    Participant

Well done Jaeme from me too! The enzymes I am on, that seem to be better are Protese free too…who knows.
    I’m on the up generally too, with occasional hiccups. My issue seems to be largely helped by large amounts of HCL as I realised I felt better after acidic foods. I have just started seeing a nutritionalist and he uses balances of flavor (spice, sweet, sour, heat, etc) to stimulate digestion, which I am adapting within the FTD (although I am not weighing and counting FP at the moment…perhaps I should).
    I always think these things are an upward sine wave, so lets hope in 6 months time we are all doing a lot better.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks Danb1- you too! Funny you mention 6 months, because that’s where I am at on this journey right now. I’ve read others who have had results in about 6 months as well – must be the magic number. I don’t count FP points or weights anymore, but still stick to mostly low-medium point foods as a base with small portions of higher point foods and only one per meal to monitor for reactions. I still eat greens and kefir with every meal. I use a lot of spices, especially tumeric, ginger, cardamom, etc. (favorite breakfast smoothie is yogurt & almond/coconut milk with mango, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, tumeric, vanilla and now a tbsp. of peanut butter instead of the olive oil or cream). My Nutritionist has been a big help also.

Jaeme
    Participant

P.S. – I did try Beano enzymes with beans, and seemed to help.

Kelly
    Participant

I did some searching and wanted to pass on what I learned about protease enzymes. I didn’t find anything about digestive enzymes irritating an inflamed stomach. However, protease or proteolytic enzymes are also used between meals to reduce systemic inflammation or swelling from an injury. When used for that purpose, on an empty stomach, they can cause stomach pain. I think the specific protease enzymes used may also make a difference.

My digestive enzyme has proteases, and doesn’t bother my stomach, but of course we’re all very different.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.