Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Recipes Cauliflower "bread" sticks

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I saw this recipe on FB, from the FB page of Coach Shannon Lee. I may try it soon. It is supposed to be very low carb.

1 head of Cauliflower
    1/2 cup shredded Cheese
    2 Eggs, beaten
    1 tsp dried Parsley or Oregano or Basil
    2 cloves Garlic, minced
    Onion powder, Salt & Pepper to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
    2. Cut up Cauliflower and steam till soft.. put on a tea towel and blot, try to get as ‘dry’ as possible.
    3. Put in food processor or blend till it’s mashed potato texture.
    4. In medium bowl stir Cauliflower, Eggs, Cheese, Garlic & Seasonings
    5. Lightly spray baking pan and pat the mixture out.
    6. Bake at 450 for 15-20 minutes or until top starts to brown

Cut into bread sticks

Jaeme
    Participant

This sounds delicious, JI – thanks for posting!

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi JI – I tried this recipe tonight, and it was good. The texture was not firm enough to call a bread stick, more like a souffle or quiche. Still very tasty! 🙂

goddessrocks
    Participant

looks good i’ll try it… Anyone know the FP of this dish?

JI
    Participant

The FP would depend on how much the head of cauliflower weighs and how big of a piece you consume. The cauliflower is the only ingredient with an FP value, and a 2.8 ounce portion has an FP of 3. Assuming the weight of the cauliflower is 28 ounces (2.8 x 10), the FP of the entire recipe would be 30 (3 x 10). Therefore, 1/10 of the recipe would have an FP of 3.

goddessrocks
    Participant

thank you Jl… that’s where i get in trouble as thinking it’s a vegetable w low FP i Can eat half the whole head!!! i need to try and get this calculation down…. thank you again…

Greer
    Participant

Hi Goddessrocks – I weigh everything I eat and then calculate the total FP. as JI says FP is based on the weight of food you eat in relation to its FP.
    ie (and I am working in grams here in Australia)
    cauliflower has 0.038 g of FP / 1 gram weight of cauliflower

So if I eat something with 80 grams of cauliflower then I am eating 80 x 0.038 = 3.04g FP

here it is using ounces which corresponds to JI’s post:
    1 oz of cauliflower has 1.07g of FP
    so a serving with 3oz cauliflower in it has 3.21 g of FP

My kitchen scale, my calculator and my FP chart* are my best friend… (and a notebook in which to calculate and record everything)

* I have written up a chart where I have reduced all the foods I am likely to eat to FP per 1 gram portion so it is easy to multiply by the total weight of serve – you could do it for ounces…

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks Greer – yes, it is very easy to think veggies are in the “freebie” category and eat more than allowed based on weight/FP. For those of us who are math-phobic, any help we can get from our fellow FT community is greatly appreciated. 🙂

goddessrocks
    Participant

Thank you Greer and Jaeme…. i really appreciate the clarity…i guess i need to get a scale…sigh.. i have so much resistance. Do any of you have any information on Juicing vegetables . i’ve been juicing a few carrots a bout 8 celery sticks and a big tub of spinach and using just the juice and getting rid of all the fiber… it feels nutritious and easy to digest. i also water it down a bit. but i would like to add more veggies… i heard kale has sometime in it that can be hard on the tummy… any info would be helpful..

budgiemom
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion on the chart Greer! I may do the same! I think that would save me a whole lot of time in the long run. So if I am understanding this correctly, the FP varies directly in proportion to the amount eaten, so for example, one ounce of pear would essentially have an FP of 3? Is that correct?

budgiemom
    Participant

Oh and one more question…when we are calculating FP values, I am assuming the ounces listed for all foods mean in their uncooked form. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Greer
    Participant

Hi Budgiemom yes you are right about the relationship of FP to weight of the food you eat. Yes 1 oz of pear is 3 gms of FP (in grams: 1 gram of pear is 0.1 gram of FP). One pear is about 4.2 oz which is 13g of FP which is a quite a lot of FP as we are needing to keep it under 40 per day or better still around 20 – 30 – 13 g is 1/2 to 1/4 of your daily intake of FP. I believe the weight is cooked or uncooked except for rice which takes on water when it is cooked (and therefore weight).

Goddessrocks – sorry I do not know about how FP and juicing work – that would have to be one for Norm – getting rid of the fibre does seem to make some sense but maybe it also concentrates some of the other things that we should be avoiding – but that is a bit of guess..

Greer
    Participant

Another cauliflower recipe which is great for how it tastes and that it feels like you are eating rice:
    (This is a bit like the mashed cauli Norm has in the book but his is smooth like mashed potatoes… My husband likes this one.)

found it here:

1 medium cauliflower or 4 cups cauliflower florets
    1 1/2 ounces (43 grams) cream cheese
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Pinch ground or grated nutmeg
    1 tablespoon sliced green onion (optional)

Cook up only the amount you need for your meal : one serve is about 50 grams of Cauli = 2g FP, 5g of cream cheese = .1g FP

steam cauliflower 8 to 10 minutes or until a fork can easily be pierced through the cauliflower.(I prefer shorter time as it stays more ricey)
    Drain cauliflower then throw back into the hot pot (off the heat) and cover with lid. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes. This is important to dry it out.

Mix cauliflower with the cream cheese, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Use a potato masher to mash Cauliflower lightly till it is rice grain size – not smooth. Finish with a pinch of nutmeg.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I love the cauliflower recipes!
    On the juicing question, I recommend adding all the FPs (for all the foods used) together and subtracting about 1/2 of the fiber FP grams (as the insoluble fiber will be removed).
    On the cooked/prepared vs uncooked/unprepared FP question, unless specifically stated, most of the FP values are for “prepared” foods as that’s generally what was tested in people to arrive at a glycemic index value.
    Lastly, FP does in fact vary directly in proportion to the amount eaten.

goddessrocks
    Participant

thank you all for recipes and responses… i’ve been doing the juicing and it’s fine… I use 5 carrots a finger of ginger, 5 sticks of celery and a whole bunch of organic baby spinach… after juicing all this i have greens for 2-3 days and usually take a half glass and add some water..
    Atleast i feel i’m getting some nutrition… my gut is doing better and it seems my energy is also. Still doing the bone broth something in it feels very healing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.