Skip to main content

Carrageenan, is it safe?

//Carrageenan, is it safe?
Carrageenan, is it safe?2014-02-16T21:15:34+00:00
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve seen information from two different camps on this topic. One of them claims that food grade carrageenan is from a natural source, seaweed, and that it has been used safely as a thickener for many decades. The other says that carrageenan can cause intestinal inflammation and damage. One study even showed a link to leukemia in animal testing; I think this has been largely discredited because they used non-food grade carrageenan. I notice that this ingredient is often used in creams and soy or almoond milk. Does anyone have further knowledge about the safety of this ingredient?

Kelly
    Participant

I’ve read that it can be a stomach irritant, but I don’t know much detail. Note that ingredients derived from a natural source can be far from the naturally occurring form. Is it “natural” to extract one chemical from a food, concentrate it, and add it to another food?

I think the carrageenan is used to keep milk substitutes from separating. I avoid it, by using canned coconut milk instead of cartons. Canned has very few or no additives. It’s also possible to make your own of any milk substitute.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.