Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Can FTD be high-carb?

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The first thing I did to help maximize carbs is make a spreadsheet of foods. In addition to FPs, I calculated what I call the carb ratio: total carbs divided by FP. That tells me how many carbs I get, for each FP that it “costs” me. The highest carb ratios of foods I can eat are parsnips and rutabagas, so I try to eat one of those each day, the maximum amount that’s under 7 FP. It would be useful to calculate the carb ratio of your milk substitute and see if that’s giving you a good “return on investment”.

I plan what to eat, using the spreadsheet, so I can use most of the FP each day and maximize carbs. That means I either eat 4 small meals for a total under 28, or I can eat 3 meals of 7 FP plus snacks that total under 9. I think you said somewhere else that you eat a snack of dates & nuts, so hopefully that helps your carb count. Maybe some kind of nuts have a higher carb ratio than others?

You said you eat rice with dinner; why not for every meal? I can’t remember if it’s limited to 1/2 cup per meal or per day. You could blend it into your smoothie and add it to your salad like a garnish, or just eat it on the side. You could also add glucose at every meal, if you aren’t already.

I’m surprised you eat a smoothie OR eggs for breakfast; I would eat both and still might need more. When you eat eggs, you could have carbs along with that: if not the smoothie then fruit or veggies. Or maybe your milk substitute is close to 7 FP already.

Greens and probably most salad veggies have a low carb ratio, so maybe it would be helpful to include something with a higher carb ratio at lunch? Either replace a little of the greens with a little of something high-carb, or have less salad and add some high-carb veggies on the side? Dried fruit would be a nice garnish on a salad.

Another thing I do is eat as much fat as possible. It’s not carbs, but at least it provides more calories. I add a tablespoon or two of healthy fat to every vegetable or smoothie, and add plenty of fat when cooking meat. I eat fatty fish like salmon, mackerel, or sardines. I buy them with skin whenever possible and use the liquid in canned fish, either drink it or cook veggies in it.

I hope all that helps and isn’t too overwhelming all at once. I have lots of ideas for eating more variety, but I’ll write that post another time.

Kelly
    Participant

I also wonder, with your weight-loss, if you’ve lost muscle. Maybe you need more protein? I’ve read in paleo sources that 1g per pound of body weight is a minimum, but needs to be higher for rebuilding/healing. I eat meat at every meal. And since I know I’m not absorbing nutrients well, most of that is organ meat.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Awesome post Kelly!
    ” I can’t remember if it’s limited to 1/2 cup per meal or per day”
    NR: The recommendation is 1/2 cup per meal, but that’s just in the early phase of the diet. Once your symptoms and SIBO are under control, you may be able to easily tolerate one cup servings.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks for your great post Kelly! I am doing much of what you suggest, and will try to add others. My new doctor did prescribe Remeron this week for sleep, appetite and weight gain.

Kelly
    Participant

Jaeme, I’m glad to hear you’ve found a new doctor. I hope the Remeron works for you and doesn’t cause unwanted side effects. I remember from when I was taking it, that the dose for depression is different from the dose for sleeping, so it doesn’t work for both at once. Intuitively, I would expect the dose for appetite would coincide with the dose for depression, not sleeping. You may want to look into that and verify whether it can accomplish both goals you’re aiming for.

Kelly
    Participant

Now it’s my turn to be discouraged: I’ve been under 30 FP/day for over 4 weeks, and my improvement has been inconsistent, just like before FTD. But I’ve also lost more weight that I couldn’t afford to lose, because I just can’t get enough carbs. I’ve tried, but can’t tolerate melon, glucose, Jasmine rice, or anything but certain vegetables. Parsnips and rutabagas aren’t very available at this time of year, and I can’t eat them exclusively anyway. I did some calculations again, and determined that with vegetables alone, I can’t get over about 50 g/day of carbs, while staying under 30 FP.

I’m hungry a lot, which makes me crave fat & salt when I finish my ration of vegetables. I’ll actually eat fat out of the jar, and like it. I think that excess is also affecting me.

At this point, I think I need to either put FTD on hold and just try to gain weight, or eat some of the foods that don’t agree with me, hoping that FTD will help those intolerances.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Kelly- not sure how it works, but I have put on over ten pounds in two weeks with Remeron, without changing what I am eating much. I feel a lot better, and can start to exercise a bit. Very low dose for sleep & appetite – 7.5mg

Kelly
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Jaeme. I’ve been thinking about Remeron because of what you’ve said, but I really try to avoid pharmaceuticals. I’m sensitive to everything, and I just don’t want to go there.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Just curious Kelly. Do you know the ratio of Carbs:Fats:Protein in your diet? Depending on carbs (instead of fats) for weight gain can be a challenge for some people with IBS.

Kelly
    Participant

Not sure, because I don’t measure fat, I just pile it on everything. 😉

I’d guess about 1/2 to 3/4 cup/day, in addition to what’s already in meat or fish. At least 9 oz of those per day. I’m definitely not depending on carbs for all my energy.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Kelly- saw the Doc who prescribed the Remeron, and she couldn’t believe how much better I am doing. Said when she first saw me I looked miserable (I was), and now I looked healthy and happy (I am). I feel almost back to my pre-LPR days
    I am anti-pharma, but another forum member (who said he usually shuns meds too) really recommended it. I researched it, and at the low dose of 7.5mg has a good track record, so I decided to give it a try. Glad I did!

Kelly
    Participant

Good to hear you’ve improved so much, Jaeme!

I have a big appetite and I’m already struggling to resist eating the foods I shouldn’t. One of my concerns with Remeron is that my appetite would become torturous, or I would give up and eat what I want.

What I’ve been doing for now is I relaxed my FP limits, and I’m trying again with some of the foods I haven’t been able to tolerate before. Also I found a new possible reason for my trouble with fruits, and a possible solution if I’m right.

Viewing 12 posts - 31 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.