Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Can FTD be high-carb?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Jaeme, Of course, everyone is different. But I have never heard of someone going into Ketosis at 75-100 grams/day of carbs (usually ketosis is triggered by much lower levels or carbs. For instance, Atkins recommended no more than 20 grams per day to induce ketosis). Have you actually measured this with yourself or have some reference to information supporting ketosis at these levels? I would be interested. Thanks!

Kelly
    Participant

I’ve wondered about ketosis, but like Norm, thought it wasn’t possible at 60 g/day. I looked up the symptoms and I do often have a weird taste in my mouth lately. I have dry mouth when sleeping but that could be reflux. And I certainly have no lack of appetite, I’m hungry 2-3 hours after eating. Seems unlikely, but since underweight people aren’t the typical ones trying for ketosis, the symptoms might be different.

I would also be very interested if you’ve tested positive for ketosis.

Jaeme
    Participant

Yes, I have been using ketone urine sticks & testing positive off & on based on whether I can get up to about 80 carbs a day or not. My problem is two-fold: finding enough low FP foods to get the carbs, and those being simple carbs that spike blood sugar. I never had blood sugar issues before ketosis (readings were always stellar), but I only ate complex carbs and unprocessed foods. My not sleeping at night appears to be nocturnal hypoglycemia, even with eating a protein snack at bedtime (which eating before bed is a reflux no-no, but I am desperate for sleep). Also, my LPR is flaring up as I try to walk the FP/carb line.

Jaeme
    Participant

P.s.- I also have no appetite. 🙁

JI
    Participant

Jaeme, are you sure that the urine test sticks are accurate? I don’t know if you can be tested by a doctor, but have you been? I wish you luck as it sounds like you are struggling a lot lately.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jaeme,
    I agree with Jl that a doctor’s visit might be helpful if you feel you have a metabolic or dietary imbalance preventing you from receiving adequate nutrition from the foods you’re eating. Ketosis itself is not considered a bad thing and simply indicates you are burning some fat. But excessive weight loss despite adequate caloric intake is concerning.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thank you so much for your concern guys. I have to find new doctors, as both my physician and gastro doc are Big Pharma/traditional and have washed their hands of me and this “quack” approach to healing I’ve tried. I am feeling so poorly today I may head to hospital- body systems are out of whack. But what will they do except Big Pharma? 🙁

Kelly
    Participant

Jaeme, I’m so sorry to hear about your troubles with doctors on top of everything else. I struggled with traditional drug-pushers for many years. Your profile says you’re in the Midwest — if you’re close enough to western WI I could give you the name of my current doctor. If not, I could suggest ways to find a good one. It also depends on your insurance situation.

Also, I used to have a terrible appetite, until I started the diet, and I could give suggestions for dealing with that if you want.

As far as ketosis, I’m having another round of labs this week, so I’m going to ask my doctor to test for that also.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks Kelly- I am in Ohio. I had a great appetite until I started the FT diet. Then I did not eat much of the rice or other simple carbs (so used to eating the complex carbs prior), so I ended up in ketosis with 20-25 carbs a day. Went to nutritionist who helped me try to get to the 70-80 I am at now, but after some improvement, I have been backsliding in health and symptoms. Part of problem is diet so limited I eat basically the exact same thing each day. Plus no gluten, so the breads are not an option. Could have some vitamin mineral imbalances now too.

Jaeme
    Participant

BTW- “quack” was doctors’ term, not mine.

Jaeme
    Participant

Norm- Mark Sisson uses 50g carbs or less as ketosis, but 50-100g still as weight loss mode. Over 100-150 for maintaining weight, over 150 for gaining.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks Jaeme. Wishing you the best in finding the optimal diet approach that meets your needs.I really believe that some (high FP) complex carbs are a problem and symptom-provoking for many people, but everyone is different..

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks Norm. I have really appreciated all of your support, info and prompt replies on the forum. I must be one weird anomoly. Interestingly, after feeling so poorly all weekend, I did much better today. Was actually hungry. Now my strange symptom is the numbness & tingling on my scalp and face and heart pounding after eating, sort of diabetic symptoms and may still be glucose sensitivity after being in ketosis.

When will the new FP tables be available, and for those of us without a Kindle?

Kelly
    Participant

Sorry it took me so long to reply. Yes, driving from Ohio would be a long way. I could give you some tips on how to find a holistic doctor, even within the conventional medical system that insurance pays for. Or maybe you need a break from that struggle, and just stick with the nutritionist. Constant change really wears you out, sometimes it’s better to rest where you are for awhile, even though you haven’t reached the goal. It always took me months to work up the stamina to try again with a new doc.

It sounds like your appetite problem is simply a matter of boredom? You could google for paleo/SCD/grain-free recipes to get ideas. Or if you want to tell me what foods you can eat and what you wish for, I could make suggestions. I’ve had to be pretty creative with all my food sensitivities. I can make “spaghetti”, various kinds of snack bars, everything-free pumpkin pie, mashed “potatoes”, lots of things.

I wish you were here, I would have you over for dinner! I’ll just have to pray for you from a distance.

Jaeme
    Participant

Double thanks, Kelly! That’s very kind of you. I have had an appetite the past two days when I cut out some of my supplements. Not sure if it is a coincidence or not. I am eating about any of the lowest FP foods except bread. Typical day is either smoothie or eggs, salad with tuna or chicken, a meat with two veggies and rice. Also a kefir/coconut milk mix for drink with each meal except smoothie. Problem is getting enough carbs.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.