Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Can FTD be high-carb?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Participant

For over a year I’ve had an increasingly restricted diet, constantly discovering more food sensitivites. I’m so happy to have found this diet; I find the reasoning much more logical than SCD or GAPS, and it’s more flexible than those or low-FODMAP.

Norm, you said the meal plans in the book are designed for eating up to 75g carbs per day. I really need to gain weight, and even with all the protein & fat I eat, I need more carbs than I’ve been getting. I’m just not doing well with lower-carb, and now I have the possibility of fixing that. (Yippee for Jasmine rice!)

Can the FTD work if I eat more carbs, as long as I keep within the FP limits? I’d be eating double portions of very low-FP veggies, adding small amounts of Jasmine rice to meals, and eating low-FP snacks like dates. (I’m so happy there’s a fruit I can eat again!)

Thanks so much for your great work!

JI
    Participant

I see no reason why it would not work, keeping daily FP low. The upper limit should be about 30 mg. of FP per day to start. You can include French baguettes or flat bread as a low FP carb if you can tolerate bread. A nurse recently told me that you cannot gain weight without carbs in your diet. I believe that dates have recently been called into question as having more FP than originally believed. Melon and a small amount of strawberries are good fruit choices.

Kelly
    Participant

Thanks for the tip about the dates — that’s so frustrating! What/where is the new information?

I can’t eat any grains. Even the Jasmine rice, which I thought would be okay, seems to cause itching. For months I’ve only been able to eat meat, certain vegetables, and lots of fat. Now that I need to limit even the amounts of veggies, it looks like I’ll have to resort to using glucose, at least until I can test some new choices.

Is there any problem with adding a bit of glucose to each meal?

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi KC- I am able to do dates as long as they are Medjools (I have one large date with 1/8 c. Macadamia nuts as a snack up to two times a day.) It seems to me the Medjools are less fibrous and more sweet than other dates, so I wonder if the new GI info is from California dates or other type?

Jaeme
    Participant

KC- I am having the same “not enough carb” issue. Luckily I can do the Jasmine rice, but still not enough. I’ve had to up my FP points a bit and try to walk that fine line. Found I can do mango fruit if I have a half at each meal. Blueberries in the smoothie. Kefir mixed with coconut milk will add some carbs too. Dextrose in coffee or mixed in that kefir above, or evem on the balsamic & olive oil vinegrette. Butternut squash.

Kelly
    Participant

Mangos!!! By my calculation, 2.5 oz should be within 7 FP. The ones I like are Ataulfos, and they weigh about 8 oz each. Minus pit and skin, I figure I should be able to eat at least 1/3 at a time. I haven’t tried it yet, but they’re a top priority after the necessities. I’m SO THANKFUL to have the possibility of eating fruit again!

Dates seem okay. I usually eat deglets because they’re cheaper. When I checked the nutrition facts they were almost exactly the same. But the types of sugar are different; I wonder if that matters.

The Jasmine rice might be okay after all, because I figured out another possible reason for the itching. I’ll have to try again in a few weeks.

In the meantime, I’ll be eating lots of meat, and I’m glad watermelon season is starting. And I have a 2 lb package of dextrose coming next week — I expect I’ll use 10g or so for each meal.

Kelly
    Participant

Butternut squash: 3g is 7 FP, which is such a small amount it’s barely worth it to me. I think I’ll use that mixed in recipes, once I start making them again. I bet it would be a good sweetener for pumpkin recipes.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Good discussion going on. Let me chyme (ha, ha) in if I may.
    Yes, FTD can be a higher carb diet, but there is a caveat. Early on in the diet, when people may have rather advanced SIBO in the upper part of the small intestine, I recommend limiting even easy-to-digest carbs such as jasmine rice.

The reason is theoretical, but goes like this: In advanced SIBO, bacteria may be present in the same location where our small intestine is trying to complete digestion and absorption of simple sugars and low FP starches. These bacteria will have access to the carbs and compete with our own digestion potentially promoting continued bacterial overgrowth. This ideas is supported by the fact that the glucose breath test can actually detect SIBO in some people. Remember, glucose is supposed to have a GI of 100.

Once symptoms are under control, increasing carbs levels while keeping FP low is more practical but non the less, you’re experimenting and may need to cut back if symptoms emerge.

On the issue of dates, yes you have all heard correctly, the FP for dates has been increased as you will see in the upcoming printing of FTD IBS and FTD Heartburn and in the updated ebooks. The reason is that the GI of 103 assigned to dates in the original glycemic index database (that I used for FTD FP calculations) is likely wrong. Several laboratories have since tested dates for GI and the values are actually much lower – in the range of 30-50. The new FP is thus increased based on a GI of 42 to FP = 27 for a 2.1 ounce serving. Sorry about that, but that’s science for you. I just report the numbers. Dates are a high FP food!

Kelly
    Participant

That’s odd — I didn’t notice problems with dates, but I can’t tolerate even an ounce of watermelon. There must be some other factor involved. And I’ve just started, so it’s hard to tell what caused what.

Thanks for the input. You recommend limiting Jasmine rice — is it also necessary to limit high-carb foods such as parsnips? Or limit FP to even less than 20-30? I’ve got to get some carbs somehow…

When is the new book coming out? Will the current FP tables ever be available on the website, for those who have already bought the book?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Kelly,
    Stick to the recommended amounts as per the book unless you continue to have symptoms. If you do, decide if you can get by with fewer overall carbs and FP = 20-25 g/day for one or two weeks to help you clear out excessive bacteria in the small intestine. I understand your desire for more carbs, but there is no reason I know of that you can’t retain adequate weight on a lower carb diet. The alternative is perpetuation of SIBO and symptoms. Once SIBO is under control, you can gradually increase low FP carbs.

The updated FTD Heartburn ebook should be online in a week or so. I don’t have timelines for the other books at this point but FTD Heartburn will come before FTD IBS, which has only been out a year and really requires only very minor updates. I will continue to post on FP changes that come up such as the dates, but I have no plans to put the tables on the web site.

Kelly
    Participant

Okay, I was thinking the FP info would be changing often based on new research. And when you mentioned the “upcoming printing” I thought it was the IBS book already. I didn’t realize it was only the heartburn book, which is older.

Fortunately I’ve been maintaining my weight, but haven’t been able to gain any back. Low weight causes other health issues. I estimate I’ve been getting around 60-80g carbs/day all along, and it’s not enough. Now with cutting out the dates, we’ll see how things go, and maybe I can add rice.

After months of confusing observations about food & symptoms, I think FP is an important part of my puzzle. Thanks for your great work!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Kelly, The higher FP of dates is driven mostly by the fructose in sucrose, though it does have some fiber as well. Some people can digest and absorb fructose effectively. If you are one of those people, dates might not be a problem for you.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Kelly- I am right there with you! About same amount of carbs per day and can barely maintain weight even with no exercise, need to gain. I seem to be fine with a few dates eaten with nuts, and mangoes as well, so I must be able to digest fructose.

Kelly
    Participant

I would like to think that’s why dates seemed okay, but since I haven’t been able to tolerate any other fruit, it seems more likely that I just didn’t connect the symptoms with the cause. I’ve lived without fruit this long, I can go awhile longer. I just need some glucose & Jasmine rice to replace my beloved sweet potatoes. Went to the doctor today and I’ve lost another five pounds, argh! I can’t stop exercising, I need that for chronic pain.

Time to go eat some more meat & fat & parsnips.

Jaeme
    Participant

Kelly- watch out for ketosis (metabolism switch to fat burning). That’s what happened to me on the FT diet, and it has been a huge struggle trying to get out of it. After the first month on yhe diet I had lost 30 lbs. and 3 bra sizes (and I didn’t need to lose anything in the first place). I didn’t know about ketosis, but have been seeing a nutritionist to try and get out of it. For many people, over 60 carbs is not ketosis, but it appears I should be closer to 100 (which is difficult on the FT)
    I keep hovering on the verge of ketosis, going in & out of it at around 75-80 carbs a day. Its frustrating, as the FT worked for my LPR symptoms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.