Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Norm,

I just got your book and have read through it (there’s a lot of free time when you’re on medical leave due to severe SIBO).
    I was hoping you could clarify something for me. In calculating FP, are net carbs = total carbs – dietary fiber or are net carbs = total carbs – dietary fiber – sugar alcohols?

Thanks!
    Irina
    PS: I really wish I found your book/site earlier… I spent 5 months trying to convince my GP that I have SIBO so he could prescribe antibiotics. I know you don’t recommend antibiotics but I wasn’t aware that there was an alternative at the time plus my SIBO is so severe, I have many symptoms of severe SIBO you outlined in your book (including a 30-pound weight loss – significant considering I’m 5’9 and used to weigh 125 pounds!!)

AndreaS
    Participant

Hi Irina,
    Norm generally answers very fast. He must be off-line at the moment. So here are my 2c 🙂
    In the context of FTD we consider dietary fiber AND sugar alcohols as carbs. So, net carbs = total carbs – dietary fiber – sugar alcohols. That’s for instance how Norm’s FP calculator works.
    However, outside of FTD things can be quite different. Most of the time, I seem to remember, sugar alcohols are not listed as carbs. Dietary fiber seems to be part of carbs in the U.S., whereas it isn’t where I live (Austria) and apparently neither in UK.

Let us know if this helps, and especially how you do following the FTD. Be aware that a weight loss in the 1st week of low-carb diets is a known and temporary phenomenon. But do mind the calories when you change your diet 🙂

AndreaS
    Participant

One more thing, just in case: Sugar alcohols (SA) are sometimes/often not mentioned and not included in calculations simply because there are practically no SA in many foods. Unfortunately, this fact seems to lead to mistakes. For example, even Norm forgot to mention SA of some fruits in the book edition that I own.

Irina_RN
    Participant

Thank you for clarifying that! That’s the formula I was using in my calculations but I just wanted to confirm because in one of the part, net carbs was alluded to being the same as glycemic load.

I live in Canada, and so far I’ve been seeing sugar alcohols being written on the label (I can’t speak for ALL products, though…).

Hopefully, more weight loss is not in the cards for me (at 5’9 and 95 pounds, i don’t even think there’s anymore weight I could possibly lose, lol).
    I’m on my third day of following the protocol and words cannot possibly describe the joy I’m feeling right now! I was able to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks yesterday and I haven’t been able to do that in months! For comparison, only 2 weeks ago I spent my day curled up in the fetal-position on the couch not being able to literally (and I don’t say this as an exaggeration) eat or drink anything for days because of debilitating pain, bloating, and various other extremely unpleasant symptoms. I spent the entire first year of my marriage not being able to function properly.
    It feels great to feel like an actual person again!

Irina

AndreaS
    Participant

That’s great! Thanks for the good news.
    I think I know quite well what you are talking about. When I realized my symptoms were improving I cried. And not just once 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.