Skip to main content

Calculating FP

//Calculating FP
Calculating FP2014-03-06T23:19:28+00:00
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Norm,

If you wouldn’t mind clarifying this, I’d really appreciate it. When calculating the FP for a food not included in the charts, does the glycemic index vary based on portion size? Clearly the NC and DF would, but does the GI get adjusted too? I got a little confused when reading that section in the book. It looks like the GI is calculated based on 50g of the test food, but I am not sure if I am supposed to alter the value for GI somehow if I am not consuming 50g of the food. Sorry if the way I am writing this is confusing, but can you help?

Also, I seem to recall someone asking in the past what the FP of Trader Joe’s rice tortillas is, but I can’t find it now. Any idea?

Many thanks!!!

Andy

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi budgiemom, Good question. The glycemic index is fixed regardless of portion size. The 50 grams of carbs is just the amount they use for the test. And you’re right the NC and DF vary as expected with serving size.
    I estimate one (57g) Trader Joe’s rice tortilla (the only one I can find nutritional facts for is the “brown” rice tortilla) as having an FP of 14 grams. Note: I used a conservative estimated glycemic index of 50 for the calculation since the rice used is likely not a high GI variety. That gave 12 grams. Then I added the two fiber grams.

Jaeme
    Participant

This would be a good job for an intern – research the FPs of various foods to put into an “FP Guide” that could go into an FP cookbook! I’d buy that book in a heartbeat! 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I’ll keep that in mind Jaeme.

budgiemom
    Participant

Thanks Norm! Very helpful! Oh, and I would buy that book with the FP values too!!! Great idea!

goddessrocks
    Participant

Yes… that book would be enormously helpful… and we could all input categories..ie like for athletes and sports supplements….

thanks for all the participation and input…

Jaeme
    Participant

I have been looking up the GI of different nuts, and most listings show the GI’s as “0”, except for cashews (22) and peanuts (7). The cashews & peanuts match the GI’s listed in the FT book, but the other nuts do not. Why is there a difference?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Interesting Jaeme. Do you have the source for that info? I am not aware of that data.

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Norm – I just searched “Glycemic Index of Nuts” and found several sites. The numbers on several of the sites had most nuts at zero, but cashews & peanuts the same as the FT book. Another site had most nuts at 10, but cashews at 22 like the FT book. Here are two:
    http://www.carbs-information.com/gi-value-nuts.htm
    http://www.vitalhealthzone.com/nutrition/food-values/nuts.html

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Jaeme, Thanks for the links. The link showing zero GI’s for nuts is, well, nuts. I see no reference for where they got their information and the zero GI values make no sense, given that many of the nuts mentioned have carbohydrate contents similar to peanuts and cashews which do have GI values based on actual testing.

The Vital Health Zone link actually lists GI values for a number of other nuts, but does not cite the source references. I wrote to the site administrators requesting this information and will post their response here when I receive it.

In the meantime, for other tree nuts, I would just assume a GI value of 22 from the one tree nut that has been tested, cashews.

Jaeme
    Participant

Thanks Norm – the hardest part of the FT plan is getting the GI values of foods, which I am sure you encounter as well. Some sites use the Glycemic “Load” instead of “Index”, which is different, correct?

Jaeme
    Participant

Hummus question – chickpeas/garbanzo beans are very high FP 27, but hummus is listed as low at FP 6. What changes the value in the hummus?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Yes Jaeme, It’s a challenge. Hopefully more GI values will be published in the future. Also, one food company has validated (against actual GI values) a test method for the lab that can estimate GI values, but so far, they have not been publishing results using the method.

A decent rule of thumb is to used a GI of 50 for any foods you don’t have an actual GI value for as most vegetables have GIs ranging from 40-60. That way, at least you will be counting half of the carbs towards FP. Some people assume a GI of zero which means they count all Net carbs grams towards FP, but that seems overly cautious to me. Don’t forget to add fiber and any added sugar alcohols to the final FP.

Jaeme
    Participant

Coffee question – does anyone know if the flavored coffee beans (not the coffee flavor syrups) from the gourmet coffee shops have any measurable sugars/sugar alcohols? If so, is there enough in the finished brewed coffee to affect FPs? I have several bags of flavored beans that I used to grind myself in my “pre-LPR” days. Wondering if I can use them now in the FT diet?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I can’t offer any hard facts, but unanimous opinion out there on the Low Carb message boards, is that flavored coffees have no added carbs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.