Skip to main content

Broccoli=gas bomb, but is low FP?

//Broccoli=gas bomb, but is low FP?
Broccoli=gas bomb, but is low FP?2015-01-07T20:14:56+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Broccoli=gas bomb, but is low FP?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve read the books with interest, and the link between SIBO and symptoms makes sense to me. The recommended foods have me a bit puzzled.

For example, I love broccoli, it doesn’t love me.  It and some other “low FP” veggies give me a terrible case of gas. I imagine this gas in normally generated in the colon in healthy subjects, where the bugs are eating substances not digested further up. 

If the Fast Tract theory is that colonic and other lower GI bugs are migrating north and causing problems by fermenting otherwise undigestable foods in the upper GI tract instead of in the colon, broccoli sounds like a real no-no if I have SIBO.  Yet broccoli has “low fermentation potential”.  I feel like there is something missing in the calculation, because it sure feels like high fermentation potential to me.  Lots of folks take Beano for broccoli, so I’m not alone on this.

Supposedly broccoli has small proportions of raffinose, far less than beans. So what causes this all this gas, and why is broccoli considered a desirable food for this diet when it turns me into a gas bomb?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Gutfeeling,
    Because there is no published glycemic index (GI) for broccoli as with many low carb veggies (hard to test), an estimated GI of 50 was used (below the average GI for veggies as a whole that have been tested). You could argue that it could end up having an even lower GI, but since broccoli has so few total carbs, the FP would still be on the low end.
    For instance, 1 cup chopped broccoli (91 grams) has 6 g total carbs (two grams are fiber) and a calculated FP of 4 grams. Even if the GI was zero, the FP would only go up to 6 grams. Of course that’s still enough carbs to result in two liters of gas if totally malabsorbed.

Having said that, if you have gas from broccoli, it might be best to go with your gut and limit or eliminate it.

Kelly
    Participant

Have you tried eating only the broccoli florets, not the thick stems? Those are more fibrous. Cooking also makes vegetables much easier to digest.

I have trouble with many different vegetables, and fiber seems to be one of the reasons, regardless of the FP.

ftder
    Participant

This is a timely post, as my symptoms have been low and I was feeling adventerous and thought I would add in some cooked green cabbage which I had not had in a while. It was delicious, so I might have overdone it a litte, having it at several meals. I am also noticeing a LOT more gas, and I have been having very little lately. I guess I will have to play with quantity and go back to journaling, and maybe go with variety as I must have overdone. Other veggies such as squash don’t seem to give me any gas?

ftder
    Participant

Kelly
    can you say which veggies go better for you? I know we are all different, but I am curious.

Kelly
    Participant

Hah! I have so many different & inconsistent symptoms it’s still hard to sort out what causes what. Almost every vegetable has been suspect at one time or another. As far as I can tell, non-gas-producing veggies are carrots, beets, parsnips, some squashes, rutabagas, green beans, probably Brussels sprouts, maybe broccoli & cauliflower, maybe radishes, maybe spinach. Everything must be well-cooked. No broccoli stems, but cauliflower stems are less fibrous & seem okay. Skins of carrots & parsnips seem okay, but I peel the layer under the skin on rutabagas, because it doesn’t soften as much when cooked.

ftder
    Participant

Thanks Kelly!

how about butternut squash? I do ok with yellow and zuchinni and not sure yet about butternut. I am hoping to get out of ketosis soon.

Kelly
    Participant

Butternut and canned pumpkin are the most questionable squashes, even 4-5 oz. I can’t figure out why, and can’t find enough detailed nutrition information for the different varieties. Acorn & delicata seem less of a problem than butternut, even though they’re sweeter. Pumpkin isn’t sweet at all, and my info gives FP 6 for 5g, but I usually get mild stomach pain.

ftder
    Participant

Thanks Kelly!
    How long have you been on the diet? Ugh, I think I have trouble with butternut and pumpkin. I have been on the diet for 2 months. Let’s hope in a years time we can tolerate some of these better! These things don’t hurt my stomach but give me gurgles i think. Are you able to eat any fruit or jasmine rice?

Kelly
    Participant

I’ve been mindful of FPs for 8-9 months, but I don’t necessarily follow the diet perfectly because I have so many other limitations. I have to eat something! So I do eat pumpkin & butternut sometimes.

I haven’t gotten away with any fresh fruits except possibly cantaloupe & honeydew. I haven’t tried them enough to be sure. Mango might have been okay for digestion, but I had an allergic reaction. Cooked peaches might be okay but I’ve only tried twice, and there were confounding variables. Jasmine rice caused intense cravings, but I might try again because I REALLY need more carbs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.