Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Norm and Norm’s readers!

I was wondering if anyone has ideas for breakfast options? I have been following the plan for a few weeks for SIBO and am seeing improvement, however I am struggling with low FP breakfast ideas. I get tired of eggs so I would like to limit them to a few times per week. I can’t do dairy, gluten, or nuts. Help!
    Thanks! Andy

IdaS
    Participant

Are you ok with jasmine rice yet? If so, how about coconut rice.
    According to my calculations, coconut cream is 6 points for 100ml. So I would use that quantity and add extra water if needed.
    I recommend getting the cream, not milk, and a brand with no stabilisers etc (here in Australia Ayam brand is pure), with no bpa in the can if possible.

I use 1 part rice to 2 parts liquid, bring to boil, then lower temp to minimum until cooked, about 15 minutes. The lid should stay on for the entire cooking time. You can add spices at the start of cooking (cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, nutmeg) and any sweetner you want at the end.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Too bad about the nuts. Often nuts are all I eat until lunch. Ida’s recipe sounds good. Meats such as sausage are also good served with some different cheeses, olives and a few fermented veggies. You can always have a side of low FP fruit. My girlfriend for some reason likes Greek salad with grilled chicken for breakfast. She’s from Japan and doesn’t have the same rigid criteria we do around what foods are “breakfast foods”. Other cultures are similar. I once had pork from a whole pig roast and a light beer for breakfast in the hills of Puerto Rico. Good luck!

JI
    Participant

You can try uncured bacon, without added nitrites or nitrates. I find it at Trader Joe’s. It may be available at your local grocery or natural foods store. How about some berries or a small amount of avocado? You can also blend coconut cream along with coconut milk and low FP fruits or berries and add some dextrose as a sweetener. I like using frozen peach slices or strawberries. Can you handle soy? If so, you may want to use soy milk if getting enough calories is a concern. I believe soy milk has 90 calories per 8 oz. as opposed to 45 for coconut milk. You can also try tofu.

sophielu
    Participant

What about smoothies with low FP fruit, a handful of spinach leaves and some soy or coconut milk. This is a breakfast I never get sick of, I used to have it with bananas and berries but am changing to low FP fruit since reading the book.

gie
    Participant

Smoked salmon on GF bread, leftovers in a stir fry if you can have rice or in a homemade broth. I get sick of eggs too!

budgiemom
    Participant

These are some great suggestions!!! Thank you so much! I can’t wait to try these. Breakfast just got interesting again!!!

george72
    Participant

Question to anyone: trying to calculate the FP of 1/3 cup of coconut milk (So Delicious brand in heavy paper container). I calculated the FP using a GI of 41 and get an FP of 8.95. Does this sound correct? Thanks in advance for any replies.

george72
    Participant

Regarding the FP of coconut milk, here are the numbers I plugged in to get an FP of 8.95 for a 1/3 cup: GI=41 NC=5 DF=4 Sugars=2. Just not sure if I have the correct GI number.

JI
    Participant

george72– My reference said the GI for coconut milk is 40. I use a canned organic coconut milk. It has no added sugar, so the FP is lower. The only ingredients are organic coconut, water, and organic guar gum. Per 1/4 cup, it has 3 g. carbs, 0 g. fiber, and 1 g. sugar. The FP is 1.8 per 1/4 cup. Doing the math to convert to 1/3 cup, the FP would be 2.4. I buy a case of (12) 13.5 oz. cans on Amazon for $29.88 as I cannot find it in local stores. The brand is Native Forest unsweetened organic coconut milk classic. The cans are BPA-free. It has a different consistency from coconut milk drink in that it is thicker and it separates when chilled. It needs to be shaken/stirred, and warmed a little to become smooth. It would feel weird to drink it from a glass, but makes a great addition to smoothies or to coffee.

george72
    Participant

Thanks very much JI. Your information is very helpful. And good to know it’s a nice addition to coffee. I will order that coconut milk online. It has a much lower FP than the brand I purchased. Thanks again!

Jaeme
    Participant

George72 – It looks like you have the sweetened version of the So Delicious carton coconut milk (and perhaps the shelf-stable carton, instead of the half-gallon refrigerated carton)? The unsweetened half-gallon refrigerated carton has for one 8 oz. cup = 2g. carbs, 1g. fiber, 1g. sugar. Not sure what the GI is for the unsweetened version, but guessing 41 sounds about right. If you have the sweetened version, the GI should be higher? The unsweetened version is made of: organic coconut milk, gar gum, carrageenan, and vitamins & minerals.

george72
    Participant

Thanks very much Jaeme for your reply! Just to clarify, I have the culinary version of the So Delicious coconut milk in the 11 oz paper container (to place as a topping over rice or in Thai sauces for instance). It has a very thick consistency sort of like an extra thick milkshake. I think you are referring to the beverage version of coconut milk? The ingredients in the culinary version are: water, organic coconut cream, organic guar gum. For a non dairy beverage, I’ve typically used almond milk in the past, but I think I will switch to the coconut milk (beverage version) plus use the culinary version for sauces. Thanks again for mentioning that as there are some differences between the two types of coconut milk.

Jaeme
    Participant

I switched from almond milk to coconut for a couple of reasons. One is almond milk is very high in Vitamin E = fat-soluble, so it can build up in the body, and the FT diet is high-fat for even higher absorption. I feel I get plenty of V-E already, so save the V-E for other foods. Another reason is nut fat profiles (see this link: http://paleoleap.com/are-nuts-and-seeds-healthy/), although from a botanical point of view, coconut is just a big seed (but doesn’t quite fit the rest of the seed profiles). I have switched to Macadamia nuts instead of walnuts & pecans for snacks.
    Found some other information about digestive disorders/leaky gut/etc. that “recommends cutting all nuts and seeds to people with digestive or autoimmune problems and people with gut flora imbalances” (http://paleoleap.com/dealing-with-autoimmune-diseases-and-digestive-problems/) (http://paleoleap.com/you-and-your-gut-flora/) Some of this info is different from the FT diet, some of it the same. The great thing about this forum is all of the sharing and gleaning of good ideas and finding out what works for you – everyone’s gut is different. 🙂

george72
    Participant

Jaeme: thanks for the helpful info and links regarding nuts. On the FT diet, I’ve noticed I have a sensitivity to nuts, so I will try macadamia nuts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.