Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I think I will make this bread recipe from the Elana’s Pantry website. It should be fairly low FP, and I have the ingredients! Be sure to use the right sized pan.
    Simple Bread
    2 ½ cups blanched almond flour
    ½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    3 eggs
    1 tablespoon agave nectar or honey
    ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
    In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt and baking soda
    In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, then add agave and vinegar
    Stir wet ingredients into dry
    Scoop batter into a well greased 7.5 x 3.5 magic line loaf pan
    Bake at 300° for 45-55 minutes on bottom rack of oven; until a knife comes out clean
    Cool and serve
    Makes 1 loaf (about 12 slices)

JI
    Participant

Anyone who cannot tolerate nuts may want to substitute coconut flour. I can’t promise it will work, but who knows?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting this JI, I looking forward to trying it.

JI
    Participant

I did not have a small bread pan, so used a 6 1/2 x 6 1/2 inch square Corningware casserole dish. It worked just fine, and the bread was done in 45 minutes. I’ll let you know how it is after I have it with breakfast in the morning.

JI
    Participant

It’s pretty good and so easy to make! I’d make it again.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

How did it taste and any symptoms to report?

JI
    Participant

It has a nice nutty flavor and a dense texture, very good. I think butter or jelly would add to a good thing. I ate about 1/10 of the bread and had no symptoms.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Great. I need to try it. Thanks.

JI
    Participant

As bad as I am at math, I estimate the FP to be about 7.2 for 1/10 of the loaf. Not bad if you combine it with 0 FP foods like eggs, bacon, and cheddar cheese for a meal.

budgiemom
    Participant

I have made this recipe before, and it really is good. Elana’s Pantry has some really great recipes. However in regards to the comment about substituting coconut flour, I really don’t know think that would work unless you altered the other ingredients significantly. Might be easier to just find a different recipe. Coconut flour cannot be substituted 1:1 for other flours like almond flour, because it generally requires much more egg and liquids. Doesn’t coconut flour also have a very high FP value?

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Coconut four is 15 grams FP for 1.1 ounce. 12 grams from fiber.

JI
    Participant

Thanks for pointing out the facts about coconut flour, Budgiemom. I never considered its FP or how it worked in recipes. Now the I am enlightened, I know it is not the best substitute for the almond flour.

budgiemom
    Participant

No problem, JI. I would hate to see your bread turn into a hockey puck.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.