Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A blood sugar crashes

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone else has been struggling with blood sugar crashes on this diet, and if so, what they do about it. It’s obviously a risk with such a lot of high GI foods. I’m naturally quite skinny and when I was younger I struggled with blood sugar a lot, but as I became more aware of it and ate more regularly/healthily (lots of veg, avoiding sugar) it really didn’t bother me.
    This time it’s troubling me enough to threaten continuing on the diet.
    I’ve tried doing the diet plan twice now. The first time my symptoms got immediately worse, I suspect from the dairy. I cut the dairy without realising I needed to up the fat in other areas and consequently started to feel the cranky/speedy/exhausted loop I recognised as blood sugar issues.
    After thinking about it I raised my fat consumption, cut back on high GI foods and dropped back to a more gentle form of the diet, still eating a lot of eggs and meat and avoiding pulses etc, but including white bread and not restricting veges. This did seem to help but not resolve my symptoms, so I thought I’d give a more stringent version another try. Now, a couple of days in, I’m struggling again. I had a major crash yesterday afternoon, despite heaps of protein and fat, and another at bedtime. I don’t think this can possibly be good for my gut flora, because I know from past experience it promotes candida, which is opportunistic when there is disturbance.
    Norm, do you have any suggestions?

The other things to note are that I’m about 5 kilos (10 pounds) under my healthy weight and I’m breastfeeding. I came to this diet after a couple of years of on-again-off-again GERD and newly worsening IBS-D.
    Thanks
    Ida

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

HI Ida,
    Low FP carbs tend to be either low carb (i.e., tofu) or high GI (i.e., jasmine rice). These need to be balanced. Recognizing this, I have purposefully limited overall daily carb counts in the recipes to approximately 75 grams per day. That level won’t give most people blood sugar issues – considering that the Stardard American Diet includes roughly 300 grams of carbs per day (big difference!). Reducing overall carbs counts is much more effective for controlling blood sugar than eating low GI carbs.

Even for diabetics, the ADA, until recently, recommended a minimum of 120 grams or carbs per day. This has recently been updated according to some reports to an average of around 60 grams of carbs per day. Still, for diabetics and other people with blood sugar / metabolic issues, I recommend even lower levels of daily carb counts as the best strategy. When you reduce carbs, you can up your protein counts a bit, but adding healthy fats, as you mentioned, is a great option.

Blood sugar issues are discussed in detail in FTD IBS, I will be sure to include this in the next edition of FTD Heartburn, that I am working on now.

IdaS
    Participant

Thanks for that Norm,
    I feel it may be a bit complicated because I’m breastfeeding. My baby is on solids also now, so not worried about her nutritionally, I’m just worried about me! The last week I’ve managed to gain some back, but prior to that I was dropping weight again, the lowest I’ve been since a teenager. It was getting scary, so I’ve been quite reluctant to restrict my carbs more than I am already.
    Some people do manage low carb while breastfeeding, especially if they’re wanting to lose weight, but quite a few report problems. I’ve been getting leg cramps (I’m presuming it’s magnesium, so have started applying mag oil), and just generally feel endlessly hungry and moody if I don’t have carbs.
    Anyway, there may be no resolution for this while breastfeeding.
    One thing… I came across a startup making a product called Soylent (pun certainly intended), an inexpensive liquid food replacement. They’ve got links to a ‘DIY soylent’ area where people can post their own recipes. I’m deeply skeptical that such a thing would be good for you long term, but I remember what you said about ‘elemental diets’ (and their expense) and was wondering if you think there could be something like that appropriate for an intro period of this diet. Most of them of course are based on oat flour etc, so not appropriate. If there were such a thing that you could make yourself at home and use for a week or so, it might be an excellent start to a longer-term use of your diet.
    https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body
    Ida.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Do you know what’s in Soylent?

IdaS
    Participant

The ingredients for the official stuff are Maltodextrin, Rice Protein, Oat flour, Vitamin and Mineral blend, gum acacia, Soybean lecithin, flavor, salt, sucralose.

There’s a full ingredient list and nutritional breakdown on the second post down here:
    http://blog.soylent.me/

And then on this page there’s a whole bunch of people making up their own recipes:
    http://diy.soylent.me/recipes

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I did a rough calculation and get approximately 15 grams of FP per serving. Mostly due to oat flour and fiber content.

ftder
    Participant

Ida, if you are still following this thread, could you provide a quick update? Are you still breastfeeding or did you stop and how are you managing the diet now? I think I need to take rice out for a few weeks and not really looking forward to being in ketosis as I have young kids also and don’t want to be moody, cranky or have disrupted sleep as can sometimes be the case with ketosis, esp. for women. Thanks for any update!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.