Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I recently had some dental surgery, and had to consume liquid meals for a couple of days. So, I got out the blender and got creative!

Carob Smoothie:
    One cup unsweetened almond milk or soy milk
    A few Tbsp. of heavy cream
    1 tsp. carob powder
    Dextrose or other low FP sweetener if desired
    1/2 cup Breyer’s lactose- free vanilla ice cream

I blended all ingredients on liquify for about 30 seconds, and then the blend setting for about one minute. I also made variations using either a few frozen peach slices or frozen strawberries instead of the carob powder.

goddessrocks
    Participant

sounds great!! have you found any protien powder that is acceptable and doesn’t have fructose or other non allowed sugars?

JI
    Participant

That’s a good idea, goddess! I have not researched protein powders. Carbs and non-allowed sugars are often a problem.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I wouldn’t mind trying the smoothie. Sounds good. I wonder if the carob powder is available at the grocery or you need to order on line.

JI
    Participant

I found Chatfield’s all natural carob powder at a natural food store, Nature’s Bin, on the West side of Cleveland. I would call natural food stores in your area. It’s also available through Amazon.com. It sounds weird, but I also like putting some of the carob powder on top of the lactose-free vanilla ice cream.

Lana
    Participant

Carob is readily available at Natural Food stores and probably the grocery store as well. Take note that carob is quite high in insoluble fiber… don’t know which fibers in particular. I just figured out the FP for 1 tbsp. of carob powder – 4.5.
    The FP for 1 tbsp. of cocoa powder is 2.8.
    🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks JI and Lana. I have to get some.

goddessrocks
    Participant

wondering about using non-fat plain greek yogurt and the cocoa or carob powder.. would be a nice morning drink….instead of eggs and bacon everyday…

JI
    Participant

Lana,
    I usually use just 1 tsp. of carob powder, so the FP is around 1.5. Somehow I feel that it is healthier for me than cocoa powder.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Why non-fat? I go full-fat yogurt. Same for sour cream.

Lana
    Participant

Yes, chocolate is seen as a ‘junk’ food – and a lot of the candy out there deserves that designation. Carob was introduced as a health food and still has that label. I’m not keen on the high fiber content of carob but cocoa is pretty high in fiber too. Chocolate is higher in minerals and has a higher ORAC value than most foods – including blueberries. Just be sure to use cocoa or a chocolate with a high cocoa solids content. I would always choose chocolate – but I’m biased – I’m a chocolatier. 🙂

JI
    Participant

I love chocolate, too! It’s just been drilled into my head that chocolate is a no-no if you have acid reflux. Norm’s FP formula would allow for chocolate in limited quantities, so maybe I should try it! 🙂

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I love chocolate too, especially the good stuff, right Lana? It’s a good reason to cut FP in a few other areas.

mchurch314
    Participant

Hi all…I use a whey protein powder that I buy from Sams club. It’s made by Muscletech and it only has 2 gm of sugar per scoop (recommended serving size). It uses Sucrolose (Splenda) as its primary sweetner. Per scoop, it has 20 gm of protein and only 1 gm of fat. Total calories are 120. It comes in two flavors (Vanilla and chocolate) and cost around $35 for a 5lb bag. Hopes this helps.

JI
    Participant

Hi mchurch,
    Do you know the carbohydrate count per scoop? Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.