Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been on diet for approx. 8 weeks. Anybody had experience with cake causing symptoms? It’s my bday today & really would like a piece of cake, but don’t want to flare symptoms. I’m allergic to nuts so almond flour not an option.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Happy birthday Simply6! I have been meaning to experiment with flour-less cake recipes. Lana might be the go-to-expert, but here is a starting point. http://allrecipes.com/recipe/flourless-chocolate-cake-ii/ The sugar needs to be replaced and there is a bit of chocolate and cocoa, but least the flour is gone. I have tasted this type of cake before and it’s excellent.

simply6daisies
    Participant

Thanks so much for the link. Will have to give it a try. For today, I think I’ll stick to half the milk choc bar to be safe.

simply6daisies
    Participant

Oh, any ideas to an estimation for FP on this cake?

Pompadur
    Participant

simply6daisies, happy birthday! 😉

By the way, maybe a cheese-cake is a good option? If milk products are not a probleme for you, you can make a cheese-cake! It’s only Filadelfia cheese, eggs , sour-cream and sugar substitute…If you don;t want to make a nut crust – cheese-cake is wonderfull even without it.

simply6daisies
    Participant

Norm, I tried a version of a flourless cake. It only had 3 ingredients…chocolate, eggs, and butter. Delicious. I topped it with a serving of your whipped cream recipe. My husband even loved it and my 3 yr old also. Thanks for the tip. It called for either dark or semisweet chocolate and I used semisweet to give recipe a fair try. Next time I will try with milk chocolate as per FT approach.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Sounds delicious. Do you have the recipe?

simply6daisies
    Participant
    Pompadur
    Participant

Hi Norm!
    And what do you think about cheese-cake?
    The list of ingredients is:
    – Filadelfia Cheese
    – Full fat cream
    – fatty sour-cream
    – eggs
    – stevia and dextrose as sugar substitutes
    – vanilla
    I don’t mention the base of cheese-cake here because for FP it is better to make it without it or use almond flour instead of regular graham crackers…

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Looks delicious. I am going to give it a try. I am considering using erythritol as a sweetener in it.

LRHG
    Participant

Is erythritol not a sugar alcohol, which is to be avoided ?

JI
    Participant

Erythritol is different from the other sugar alcohols and is okay. There was a post about it somewhere on this forum. I can’t remember where.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Great question LRHG,
    Since the first print of Fast Tract Digestion I learned more about this particular sugar alcohol and will be adding this passage among others in the second printing of the Fast Tract books:
    One sugar alcohol, erythritol, has some unique properties which makes it a good choice as a natural (it’s produced by yeast) alternative sweetener. Unlike the other sugar alcohols, erythritol is mostly (90%) absorbed in the small intestine. Even the 10% that remains in the intestine may not be a problem as at least one study showed gut bacteria may not be able to metabolize it. There’s more good news. Erythritol is not metabolized significantly by the body as most of it can be recovered in urine. Safety studies in animals and humans suggest that erythritol is very safe as well. Thanks to Lauren Benning (http://www.healthyindulgences.net) for writing to me about the benefits or erythritol and Kris Gunnars (http://authoritynutrition.com/erythritol/) for his excellent article on erythritol.

LRHG
    Participant

That’s great to know. Thank you. So I guess Zevia is an acceptable beverage as well – it contains stevia and erythritol.

Did you happen to see my other question re how long to see improvements ? It’s almost 4 weeks for me now and I’m still bloated and belching (although possibly less and definitely not more).

LRHG

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

LR, If you’re still bloated and belching, there has to be a reason. Usually it’s fermenting carbs, but there could be other factors. I recommend setting up a consultation if you’re interested in having my help getting to the bottom of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.