Skip to main content

Been following NSD/SCD need advice

//Been following NSD/SCD need advice
Been following NSD/SCD need advice2015-02-15T13:17:37+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Autoimmune Conditions and Diet Been following NSD/SCD need advice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I was diagnosed with several autoimmune conditions including hashimotos, ankylosing spondylitis/psoriatic arthritis, psoriasis.In an effort to heal I have been gluten, dairy, soy, grain and starch free for over a year. I also did several rounds of rifaximin. My spinal pain decreased dramatically after the last round of rifaximin but also at that time I stopped taking my daily estrogen tablet that also contained starch. So it has been difficult to know for sure what the turning point was. I recently added the med back in as it has been the only form of estrogen my body seems to feel right on but my spinal pain is creeping back in..while the no starch diet/SCD has seemed to help it is very difficult and extremely limiting. I still struggle with IBS symptoms even while following it. Im really confused as to what to do. The rifaximin seemed to cause some weight gain that despite following such a strict diet it has not come off.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi gigi,
    I feel for you gigi. IBS symptoms with AI on top is no fun. The Fast Tract Diet is a good option for both IBS and AI. The SCD and LSD don’t limit several types of fermentable carbs that could exacerbate symptoms. Here is a post comparing SCD to the Fast Tract Diet and others. https://digestivehealthinstitute.org/2012/08/17/sibo-diet-and-digestive-health/

I don’t believe the amount of starch in an estrogen tablet is a problem. Antibiotics can increase weight gain and decrease the diversity of the gut. Not a good long term solution in most cases.

gigi 7
    Participant

Thanks! I read through the link. My only question is if my issue is klebsiella which it seems like it may be would the diet you are recommending be enough to not feed it?
    Also I have been off the rifaximin for close to two months but the scale will not budge. I tried taking probiotics, scdophilus but they seemed tocause more issues. In looking at my diet my meals are mainly a source of protein with lots of greens, spinach, kale, arugula, cukes, olives, occas avocados. Snacks are usually almond butter, raisins, lara bars. Perhaps the snacks are where I am running into issues. My diet is alreadyso limited. To ditch the raisins and lara bars which are very portable for work etc I feel like I will be lost…

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Klebsiella loves resistant starch. Most starches are high in RS, but there are several low FP (fermentation potential) starches discussed in Fast Tract Digestion books. Your diet looks pretty good. I would replace the raisins and lara bars with low FP fruits and other low FP snacks from the Fast Tract Diet. Replace more carb calories with fat as well.

gigi 7
    Participant

I ordered your book for my kindle app today and have been reading all afternoon. Im a little confused when using the FP calculator. When making a batch of waffles with almond flour and the recipe calls for 1 and a half cups what is the best way to figure out the Fp? The nutrition facts are based on 1/4 of a cup.. The recipe yields 8 waffles. Should I assume each waffle is 1/4 of a cup?
    I was a little horrified to find that the mints I frequently suck on throughout the day have amoderate FP. I never thought of sucking candy as causing an issue.

Kelly
    Participant

Hi Gigi — I follow the paleo autoimmune diet simultaneously with FTD, and both have helped me a lot although each individually allows foods that don’t agree with me. You might want to read about that diet to get ideas of what foods might be causing your problems.

I know how tough it is to find snacks! Pork rinds have no carbs. Nuts are a good snack if you can tolerate them, and cut veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, carrot sticks, etc. (if carrots aren’t too starchy for you) You can also buy/make veggie chips. Beware of the potato chips with a little veggie powder added, but there are just baked/dried veggies. Most are starchy veggies, but I have seen kale chips and seaweed chips. You could also make smoothies with veggies, coconut milk or nut butter, and whatever else you can tolerate. If you can eat eggs, you can make snack bars with just eggs and pureed veggies. Or simple hard-boiled eggs are a good snack. Beef jerky in the store has sugar added, but you could make your own. Canned fish would be an easy snack with no prep, just watch for the added flavors if you decide to try the autoimmune diet.

Keep going, eventually you’ll figure out what works for you!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

gigi,
    1/4 cup will make 1.3 waffles. So each waffle is approximately 1/5 cup of almond flour.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.