Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Recipes Baking & Fast Tract

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Good suggestion Sivert. “I would find it very helpful if there was a dedicated thread somewhere in the forum only for discussing the calculation of FP for individual ingredients/products.”

Done.

ftder
    Participant

Hi Norm

Some baking odds and ends. Is maple sugar/maple syrup an acceptable sweetener when calculated into total daily FP? It is mostly sucrose? I like to bake with it for my girls and wondering if I could encorporate it into some of my low-flour, lower FP baking schemes. Also, Brown Rice syrup? Mostly glucose? Thanks!

How about this tapioca flatbread? I personally would use cream in place of milk. Still doing the introductory part of the diet but looking forward to trying this!

And this recipe but I will substitute almond flour

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Bearsmom,
    Maple syrup and sucrose are actually fine as long as you count the FP points.
    The flatbread looks good. I have been baking pie crusts with tapioca flour and rice flour. So far these flours seem to work pretty well for me in terms of triggering reflux symptoms. It’s not easy to give a definitive answer though as I the GI value (used to calculate FP) for tapioca comes from a boiled porridge as opposed to bake breads, pie crusts, etc. The best advice I can give is to experiment (controlled if possible) and see how it works.

Enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend.

AndreaS
    Participant

I was curious about the tapioca flour and did some web research. First of all, it is a bit mis-named since it is actually dry starch, not a flour. Ideally, what is called “Tapioca” should be extracted starch from the roots which are generally called “Cassava”. Though, I wouldn’t count on it. In any case, there is not much GI data, at least not considering the importance of Tapioca and the fact that it is high in carbs.
    So, roughly speaking, Tapioca starch contains about 86% carbs and ideally no fiber. The GI values for various Tapioca products range between 70 and 90. We should assume a conservative value of 70. The fact that Tapioca “flour” is a starch should increase the GI, the fact that it is consumed after cooling likely decreases it. Let’s say these 2 effects cancel each other out.
    That gives 25.8g FP per 100g “flour” for a GI of 70%.
    I think this is relatively high compared to alternatives. I would recommend not to try Tapioca early in the FTD diet unless one is already used to it and knows that it is well tolerated. However, since it is a high carb food I’d be careful anyway.

Cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapioca
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/tapioca-flour.html
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5733/2
    http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php

ftder
    Participant

Andrea THANKS so much for that analysis. I will heed your advice and steer clear of it for now as I am doing some hard work here staying true to the diet! You wrote: “I think this is relatively high compared to alternatives”. WHICH alternatives?? Jasmine rice flour? I am hoping there is something I can bake with going forward. I hate having lots of different flour products in the house. Is there one that is safe I can use sparingly for myself and my family? THANKS!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks Andrea, Good research and information. The tables in the current books list tapioca as having an FP of 16 grams per 100 grams of flour. So not too bad. But I agree with you on your point. With any flour / starch, it’s best to proceed with caution. Also, how it’s prepared (boiling vs. baking vs. frying, etc.) can affect the FP.

AndreaS
    Participant

What are alternatives to wheat flour? — Good question 🙂 I’m afraid I don’t know many. What I have seen so far (here and elsewhere) has either lots of fiber or lots of carbs or both. Carbs are less of a problem if the GI is high, but the recipes I have seen all had so much carbs that a GI around 75% could already cause troubles. Take for instance 50g French Baguette which has a very high GI and actually a moderate amount of carbs. According to my calculations the FP is 2.9g (at least for the baguette I can buy where I live). The same bread with a GI of 75% would deliver 8.1g FP, that’s way more than double! So, GI is one big problem for alternatives that use for instance potato starch or tapioca starch. Another huge problem is that alternatives (at least the ones I have seen) are much more compact/dense than French Baguette. If you want to put the same slice of cheese on top you’ll likely end up with more grams of “bread”.

So far I know 3 alternatives that somewhat “work”:
    1) Carb-rich flours with a high GI like Jasmine rice flour.
    2) Bread alternatives (whatever) with lots of air like puffed rice (as used in rice wafer cakes). Unfortunately, these cannot be used for cooking (I tried!;) as they shrink once they get wet and/or hot.
    3) Bread alternatives that are thin like tortilla chips, again due to the reduced weight per serving. Personally, I don’t know any without wheat except the rice flour chips we’ve already discussed. But I guess they do exist. Anyway, with sticky rice these are easy to make.

ftder
    Participant

Thanks Andrea! I am not really sure if I have a wheat problem. I don’t know yet as I have not tried any wheat yet and did not seem to have a problem with wheat that I know of? Tho hard to say as I was eating so many fermentable carbs and whole wheat before…. I was thinking more about a french baguette or sourdough baguette or small scone with low FP sweetener made from white wheat flour, as mentioned in the FP tables in Norm’s book. I am kind of hoping I tollerate wheat as it seems like at least then there would be a few options!

ftder
    Participant

Someone please help me I have had terrible chocolate cravings lately!!! No chocolate for 2.5 years is driving me batty. I did find this white chocolate recipe and plan to make it as soon as the erythritol and candy trays arrive!!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

That’s great. I hope you post on it. I want chocolate too.

Viewing 10 posts - 46 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.