Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Recipes Baking & Fast Tract

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Good question about Tapioca. My understanding is that it is from Tapioca flour. But there appears to be more than one way to get there. Here is a link to an article from someone who researched the issue a bit. http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/tapioca1.html
    Here’s another: http://www.ellenskitchen.com/faqs/tapioca1.html

As for unsweetened cocoa powder, there is 1 gram sugar and 2 grams fiber per tablespoons for an FP = about 2.5 grams.

sivert
    Participant

Norm,
    I was finally able to go back and look up the gluten free bread recipe I mentioned, but I’m afraid it has a very high FP… I couldn’t calculate it because I’m missing the value for some of the ingredients – I am hoping you may have them or be able to make an educated guess?
    The ingredients in question are:

quinoa
    sesame seeds
    sunflower seeds
    whole grain rice flakes
    whole grain rice flour
    whole grain corn flour

They may actually ALL be quite high FP. The recipe also includes buckwheat flour, which is very high. I have no experience substituting these types of flour with something else! Maybe someone in this forum does?

AndreaS
    Participant

Sivert — if I may, all these ingredients are laden with carbs, and they have considerable amounts of fiber, too. Moreover, and even if we do not use whole grain stuff, since many rice flour and rice flakes products do not list the type of rice, we’d have to assume a conservative GI.
    Personally, I pretty much gave up looking for bread alternatives free of gluten and wheat. Because at one point I realized that all alternatives I came up with were in fact full of carbs and/or fiber (like sesame), or they didn’t feel and taste anything like bread. I am happy with 2-3 rice cakes a day instead, and that’s it.
    Besides, a good source to research GIs is http://www.glycemicindex.com/foodSearch.php

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Sivert, To calculate the FP of the bread recipe you shared, the relative amounts of the ingredients are needed. Does the recipe include the amounts?

I agree Andrea. There are some challenges with finding gluten-free breads that are low in FP and the recipe listed above is likely relatively high in FP. But I wouldn’t give up. Trying to replicate the attributes that gluten imparts without adding too much fiber and resistant starch is a challenge for sure, but there must be a solution.

In the FP tables, I list a low amylose rice bread that has an FP of 3 grams per slice. I don’t know what recipe was used, but if I am able to find out, I will post here. Using rice and tapioca flours in bread recipes may be one avenue to explore.

And of course, for those who tolerate wheat/gluten, there are already low FP breads available.

ftder
    Participant

Hi Norm!
    Did you ever try these brownies? Did anyone? Are they ok? Thanks

ftder
    Participant

Andrea, WHICH RICE CAKES are you tollerating? THANKS!1

AndreaS
    Participant

Well, well … after I wrote my entry above saying “I pretty much gave up looking for bread alternatives” I went to the kitchen and I had a look at my list of “Things I am curious to try”. One of the items on that list was “rice flour bread”. *LOL* So, I went ahead and tried out what I had in mind. Turns out that seems to work pretty well:
    http://my.woex.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/quarkriceflourbread.jpg
    Might not be the type of bread others have in mind, however, note that this is unleavened and free of baking agents. That way one just can’t make loafs (like sandwich bread loafs).
    I’ve tried it only once, I think, it’s too early to publish the recipe. However, for those who want to experiment themselves, and for those who want to check my FP calculations, here’s what I did:

• 20g sticky rice/glutinous rice cooked in about 80ml water for about 15-20min (make sure water does not evaporate completely; my rice was slightly watery at the end)
    • 80g Jasmine rice flour
    • 100g Quark/”Topfen 40%” (100g have 141kcal, 3.2g carbs, 9g proteins, 10g fat)
    • Salt, spices

This should become a dough that while still sticky is dry and fat enough to not stick much to the bowl. I used a large tablespoon per piece of bread, flattened out to 4-5mm using a bit of rice flour to keep it from sticking to fingers etc. I made 8 pieces. Eventually, bake at 180 °C (356 °F) for 15–20min. The bread should be ready when it gained some yellowish color.

The result, after cooling, weighed in at 170g. For cooled down sticky rice and Jasmine rice flour, I assume a GI of 95%. So, for 20g rice we get 1.3g FP. 80g Jasmine rice flour have 3.2g FP. The Quark has about 2g FP. This sums up to 6.5g FP for 170g bread, that’s 3.8g per 100g which indeed is slightly lower than the FP of rice cakes (1 piece of 8g has 1.5g FP) and French baguette (25g have 1.5g FP).

For folks outside of Central Europe, getting Quark might be difficult. I guess, other/similar types of fresh cheese might work, too. But it will take time to figure out what and how. Moreover, one really has to use high GI flour like Jasmine rice flour. BTW, I am not sure if the sticky rice is a requirement. It might just work as well without.

Again, please, remember that this was only my 1st try. And the bread isn’t even 24 hours old, yet (next day texture is very important). But it does taste delicious and super-bread-like 🙂

bearsmom — I never observed any problems with rice cakes. However, I only eat 2 a day for breakfast. That’s not much, I think.

ftder
    Participant

Andrea, thanks for that info! I will look for Jasmine Rice flour!

By rice cakes do you mean “Brown Rice Cakes”? Those are the most common ones in the US. There is also Quaker rice cakes which seem fluffier and are probably from white rice but I dont know what variety. Also the white rice cakes are not organic which makes me worry more about arsenic. I thought brown rice cakes would be an issue? Thanks for any thoughts

Andrea are you able to eat white wheat products as described in Norm’s book?

Andrea, also do you mind if I ask how your elimination is going? Mine is improving and I am surprised, given I have had constipation for 25 years!!

ftder
    Participant

Organic Berry Cobbler with almond flour
    Can leave out the sweetener or use the one you usually use and tollerate. I would add cinnamon?

http://wellnessmama.com/3740/very-berry-cobbler/

sivert
    Participant

Yes, I’m aware that my last post did obviously not contain the actual recipe, I did not find it worth the effort to translate and write it when there were so many FP values I couldn’t find…

The recurring problem, also with the resource you link, Andrea (I had tried that one already) is that they list the GI of a lot of industrial products, but not the actual ingredients. For example, searching that database for “sesame” does not return a value for sesame seeds, only for some products that contain them.

Without knowing even half of the FP values, though, I would estimate that the FP per slice of the bread I was thinking of would be around 15 or even more.

Anyway! Today, I tried a different recipe (the bread is cooling off here minus a slice for tasting) which is gluten free and has a moderate FP. I think it has a nice “crumb”, and my recipe says that it is good for toasting. Here it is:

180 g flax seeds
    70 g almonds
    2 tsp baking powder
    4 large eggs
    0.1 L water
    3 tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp salt

Heat oven to 170C. In a powerful blender, turn the flax seeds and almonds into a flour. Mix all the ingredients and put them in a bread form. Bake for 30 min and let the bread cool on a rack.
    If my calculation is correct, the FP for the entire bread is 68 g (54 from the flax seeds and 14 from the almonds), so it you cut it in 20 slices, each slice is 3.4 g

AndreaS
    Participant

bearsmom — thanks for pointing out that “rice cake” is rather ambiguous. I mean those wafers made of puffed rice which are famous for various contaminations :/ Here are 2 photos: https://cdn.mediacru.sh/RqF_rnTODzNP.jpg
    https://cdn.mediacru.sh/Ze_7-ZuMnDt2.jpg

Now that I read a bit more about how they are produced I wonder whether the GI is actually lower than I thought … nope, all my sources agree that the GI is around 80% for puffed rice.

Regarding tolerance of wheat: I tried it 4 times, everytime with negative effects. Last time was at the beginning of my FTD, eating 50g French baguette a day with increased bloating after 3-4 days. Since then I happily live without. — I wanted to post my whole story this weekend, but I got distracted by the baking thread 😉

ftder
    Participant

Andrea yes!! Please DO post your story! Thanks for the info. going to try your rice bread soon and seems like the rice cakes might be ok? I have eaten too many of those in the past few years so going to stay away for now…

I was wondering if maybe you would be able to eat sourdough at some point, or give it a try. Different than french baguette, in that the sourdough yeast pre-digests a lot of the flour. Seems worth a shot?

Looking forward to reading your story!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks Bearsmom,
    “Organic Berry Cobbler with almond flour”
    I might use this idea for a pear cobbler for Thanks giving. We have a bag of ripe pears from our tree in search of a good recipe. My other idea was to make a pie and use either make an almond flour crust or buy a gluten-free pre-made crust if we can find one.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing the recipe sivert. I get a similar answer for FP:
    Flax – 54
    Almonds – 19 (I notice a small discrepancy between almond flour in the grains table and in the nuts and snack table. I went with the higher value. Per slice, I get 3.6 g FP. Not bad.

sivert
    Participant

Ah yes, I looked in the nuts and snack table. I used the value for almonds since I started with whole almonds. I wonder how the brown exterior layer affects the FP… But I’m also happy with 3.6

Something else – I realize my previous post may have confused people because it didn’t contain a recipe and this is a recipe thread, and instead was just a question about FP of ingredients. I would find it very helpful if there was a dedicated thread somewhere in the forum only for discussing the calculation of FP for individual ingredients/products. Many times, it’s possible to find different GI values for the same ingredient depending on where you look, so it would be helpful to get other people’s feedback on how they make a given calculation. Granted, there is a lot of useful information in here about FP values, but it’s quite scattered. Just an idea

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.