Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What are your thoughts on drinking alkaline water? Does is help or hurt LPR?

Thanks

Jaeme
    Participant

I used it at first just to sip it to coat/neutralize throat acid, but did not drink it with meals as you need the stomach acid to digest the food so it does not ferment (which is what causes the acid fumes that irritate the LPR). I actually take a mild HCL supplement to make sure I have enough stomach acid. Alkaline water is treating a symptom, not the problem, so it might be helpful at first as mentioned above. Other things that helped while the the FT diet began to work were DGL, marshmallow root, slippery elm, and chewing a xylatol-only gum to keep saliva washing down. I only needed them for a short time, because the FT diet worked so quickly.

The best cure for LPR for me was just doing the two week FT diet – I saw improvement within just a few days and now am virtually LPR-free for almost a year (unless I eat starchy carbs, which the FT diet helped me figure out was my problem). I am still in awe how so many doctors I saw had it all wrong, treating with acid blockers and no-acid diet while my LPR just kept getting worse. I am thrilled with how the FT diet has worked – it saved my life, my voice, my job, my sanity. I recall desperately searching all of the forums, health boards, websites, etc. looking for anything that could bring relief from awful LPR = nothing worked until the FT diet. No more pain, choking, golf-ball-in-the throat, mucus, gagging, coughing, hoarseness, swelling, not being able to sleep or swallow, etc. – and no Rx meds either! 🙂

ttompkins43
    Participant

Great to hear. Thanks for the advice.

Jaeme
    Participant

Your quite welcome TTompkins – hope the FT diet will help you with LPR and figuring out what foods work or don’t work for you (everone’s gut is unique). I was almost back to normal within a few months on FT diet after I nailed down my issue as the starchy carbs. Please note that by “cure” I mean a way to be LPR-free just using diet. People think of a cure then going back to the way they ate before. That may never happen, so my advice is once you find a food balance that works for you, embrace it and focus on the good foods you can have and forget the ones that don’t. I can’t do bread, but I can have chocolate, coffee, tomatoes, spices, etc. (all forbidden on the traditional no-acid diets) – a trade off I’ll gladly take to be LPR-free.

This forum is a great help to us all – keep us posted!

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi TTompkins,
    I agree with Jaeme that stopping the reflux is key, but since acid or acidic fumes could be irritating your throat, vocal cords, etc. sipping a little alkaline water shouldn’t hurt (I don’t believe these products are buffered and shouldn’t change the amount of acid in your stomach to any significant degree) and may help with your throat symptoms. Eventually controlling reflux should make this unnecessary.

JI
    Participant

Hi Jeffo,
    I do not think that drinking the alkaline water could hurt. It may help, worth a try. A lot of city water supplies are slightly alkaline. The alkaline water would be more so. My online yoga instructor has suffered from acid reflux, and says that drinking an alkaline tea has helped her immensely. It is called Body Rescue alkalinizing tea, and is available via Amazon.com.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.