Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD After 8 yrs. of Nexium, breakthrough symptoms

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Participant

MC…thanks for the suggestion, I will check out Ice Cubes. I have found a xylitol-only green tea flavored gum called Spry by Xlear, Inc. at a local health food store. So far, so good. Waiting to hear from company if there is any caffeine from the green tea. Even if there is, I should not think there would be enough to stimulate reflux? My only concern with xylitol is that Norm suggests no sugar alcohols?

Also checking on a gum called Xylident, which is xylitol with the bicarbonate. No one sells it locally, but health food store may be able to order it.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Small amount of sugar alcohols likely won’t be a big problem. Just include the amount in total daily FP. For sugar alcohols, 1 gram sugar alcohol = 1 gram FP. The only exception is erythritol – 90 % absorbed. Erythritol therefore offers another potential safe sweetener. Also, there is a gum someone posted on, marketed in Australia, that is sweetened with Splenda. I can’t remember the post off hand.

Anonymous

I have taken a ppi for 8 years-mainly Nexium – http://www.drugs.com/nexium.html or Protonix. When I was 23 I started having sore throats and losing my voice. My doctor looked at my throat and of course it was very red so he gave me several different runs of anti-biotics thinking I had some kind of URI…I was even tested for mono at one point. As my symptoms got worse, I started to realize it was more of a heartburn situation that was causing my problems (college cafeteria food did not help). My Dr. decided that I probably had too much stomach acid and maybe a little Hiatal Hernia that was causing GERD (never ordered any tests like a endoscopy or stomach acid level tests). I still had many breakthrough symptoms over the years but generally was able to manage the reflux with diet and the Nexium. However, in the last couple of years I started having other digestive issues as well; occaisional diarrea, stomach upsets, gas, bloating etc. I have also suffered from chronic moderate to severe tension headaches. In 2009-2010 I started to get fed up with the way I felt and started Accupuncture and Rolfing treatments which helped greatly with how I was feeling. Things really turned around through when I stumbled onto Brenda Watson’s Road to Perfect Health show on PBS. I immediately started taking a high dose probiotic, fiber supplements, omega 3′s and digestive enzymes and started to feel great. I am now trying to wean myself off the Nexium in hopes that i won’t have to take this expensive medication for the rest of my life. since starting Brenda Watson’s H.O.P.E. formula, my headaches and other digestive complaints have pretty much ceased so I am now focusing on getting the acid under control.
    My doctor also told me there was no such thing as acid rebound after stopping ppi’s. Yeah right!

gloco1965
    Participant

After being on Protonix on and off for a few years I Am convinced that the problem wasn’t too much acid. It was too little acid AND the acid was going In A place it didnt belong. After suffering from rebound reflux upon stopping the protonix I decided to take Zantac. Still felt awful. Wasn’t until I started taking Braggs apple cider vinegar and stopping ALL acid reducers that I began to feel more normal. Still not there yet but much better since being off ALL acid reducers. My doctor blew me off when I suggested rebound and said I had gastroparesis. After doing the gastric emptying study the results were that I had normal emptying. She wouldn’t accept those results and still insists I have gastroparesis. She denies that the problem could be too little acid and insists I have too much. She wants me to take reglan which causes tremors. She says if I start to twitch just stop taking it. I’m so tired of doctors NOT LISTENING TO ME. I have paid out thousands of dollars only to be made worse by these drugs.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks for sharing your story gloco. I am a bit surprised that your doctor was not more open to the possibility that you were suffering from non-acid reflux, given that this condition is well recognized and documented in the scientific literature. This condition is most commonly recognized in people who fail to respond to PPIs. You fit clearly in this category. Glad that you found out what helps you. In addition to ACV, I recommend limiting FP to help control non-acid reflux if you continue to have symptoms.

JI
    Participant

Gloco1965…Sometimes you have to switch doctors in order to get someone to listen. I had doctors tell me that I was crazy to think that Nexium was not working for me. One of them told me that I would get esophageal cancer if I quit the medication. Not only did the Nexium fail to help me, I believe it caused me to get SIBO by reducing my stomach acid. I finally found a doctor who did some testing. She discovered that I have non-acid reflux. Norm’s diet has helped me more than any other treatment.

mchurch314
    Participant

Ditto for me JI!!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.