Skip to main content

Acronyms

Acronyms2014-05-31T18:42:11+00:00

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

As a newbie, Norm, I would greatly appreciate if you could put together a list of acronyms somewhere on your website and a brief definition for each. As I read old posts I see LPR, SCD, FTD, etc. – makes it more difficult to figure out what is going on in an already complicated approach to modifying diet…

Kelly
    Participant

In the meantime:

GERD — gastroesophageal reflux disease, commonly called acid reflux. The most obvious symptom is heartburn.
    LPR — laryngopharyngeal reflux, AKA silent reflux. This is similar to GERD but without the heartburn. Symptoms include sore throat or dry mouth in the morning, chronic cough, lump in throat, difficulty swallowing
    PPI — proton pump inhibitors, the standard pharmaceutical treatment for reflux.
    FTD — Fast Tract Digestion or Fast Tract Diet
    SCD, GAPS, Low-FODMAPs — other diets that have helped some people with digestive problems, but none restrict all the types of fermentable carbs like this one. Norm’s explanation of why FTD is better than the previous diet solutions is worth reading, and available on the blog.
    digestivehealthinstitute.org/2012/08/17/sibo-diet-and-digestive-health/

Anything else?

Hang in there. 🙂 FTD feels complicated at first, but it gets easier. Don’t push yourself to change any faster than you can cope with, because stress is counterproductive.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Thanks Kelly. And don’t forget FP – Fermentation potential: Undigestive carbohydrates that have the “potential” of overfeeding gut bacteria.

hazymandolin
    Participant

SIBO = small intestinal bacterial overgrowth

AndreaS
    Participant

LES = Lower esophageal sphincter, basically the muscle that tightens the cardia, see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stomach

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.