Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD Acid and Bile Reflux

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Dr Robillard,

I am new to this forum after recently reading your book ‘Fast Track Digestion – Heartburn’. For many, many years I have had difficulty digesting certain foods.

I am vegan, and for more than 30 years lived the nutritional and other principles taught by Joel Fuhrman M.D.

This corrected many and various health issues I had in early life. I am now 71 and the only thing that Dr Fuhrman has been unable to help me with is my long standing and recalcitrant digestive troubles.

I have three chronic complaints: ‘bile reflux gastritis’, ‘acid reflux’ and ‘severe bile/acid laryngitis’. I am also chronically underweight.

I have had the “million dollar medical workup”, been on PPI’s and H2-Blockers for almost six years off and on. All of my tests were normal and the medications, apart from some minor temporary relief, only seemed to increase my stomach burning and pain.

After reading your book, I adjusted my diet accordingly, added three Flora Enzyme Blend capsules spread throughout the day, and was absolutely amazed that after the first day I noticed a difference. It was the first time in years that I did not experience that awful burning of the esophagus and throat I have come to dread after every meal.

The only two down sides as far as I can tell are:

Each time the stomach empties, I feel strong burning sensations in my stomach. I suspect the enzymes may be too strong. I’m thinking about taking one-and-a-half capsules a day instead of three but how would one do that as it involves breaking the capsules in half and swallowing the contents and I believe, and I may be wrong about this, that the enzymes are compromised if they come into contact with mouth chemistry. The powder-like content may also aggravate my ‘severe reflux laryngitis’ and ‘inflamed esophagus’.

The other problem I have is ‘bile reflux gastritis’ and was about to have
    Nissen Fundoplication before I read your book. It couldn’t have been better
    timing. I am only too aware that it’s early days for such good results but
    to complicate things further being vegan my main source of major protein is nuts and seeds and unfortunately, they always result in stomach burning too.

I know for sure that it is the nuts and seeds after having monitored it closely for many years but, food allergy testing of various kinds never confirms this. Do you have any solutions for this?

I am presently 12 days into trying to titrate only ingesting 1/2 teaspoon a day for a month. After that I plan to add a little more for two further weeks, and so on until I can hopefully tolerate sufficient to provide me with enough protein to be considered healthful with experiencing any stomach burning.

So there are four things I think are perpetuating my chronic gastritis: 1. The bile reflux, 2. The acid reflux, 3. The recently introduced enzymes I refer to above, 4. Nuts and seeds.

I should mention here that my surgeon did a ‘Barium Meal test’ last week and proved gastric material was getting all the way up to the top of the throat and that all three sphincters are likely malfunctioning.

I realize you can’t give medical advice here but what would you encourage me to do given my body’s positive response to your book suggestions and the issues I’ve highlighted in this post?

Thank you so much in advance.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Hi Rayday, Thanks for reading the book and sharing some details. I am happy to see that you have seen some improvement, but sorry it’s not 100 percent yet. You’re right. I can’t get into individual consultations on this forum. I would also need to collect much more information on you situation. Being vegan complicates the picture as well. In general bile reflux is a sign of reflux driven by SIBO where the gas pressure develops and pushes duoenal contents into the stomach and beyond. I do agree that enzyme supplements could possibly be involved. If you are interested, please contact us for consultation on this issue under the consultation tab.

Pompadur
    Participant

Recent publication about Bile reflux.
    It says that in the case of bile reflux “Abnormal microbiocenosis in the upper digestive tract is characterized by the higher quantitative and qualitative content of the mucous microflora”.

As far as i understand, it means that FP diet might fit well in the case of bile reflux …

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Very interesting Pompadur. Would be interesting to read the whole paper. Wish it was in English.

Pompadur
    Participant

Yes, Norm it can be interesting. I try to get the whole article in russian, maybe i will be able to translate some hignlights in english then.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

Great thanks.

saffyhoward
    Participant

Rayday, I am just about to start taking digestive enzymes and according to a couple of sources it is safe to remove enzyme powder from capsule and take. In fact some recommend starting with contents of half capsule and gradual increase. I was particularly researching this as I hate swallowing large capsules which had been a deterrent for me to try enzymes. I have also read that If discomfort is experienced it is mostly caused by a too high concentration of protease and to find a brand with lower protease concentration. Digest gold is one brand that I heard recommended several times and is what I have ordered to try. Good luck with it!
    http://www.enzymestuff.com/faq.htm

Jaeme
    Participant

Hi Saffy- I had problems with protease (protein enzyme that is hard on inflamed gastro tissues). I have read that people with GERD, etc. do well on a product called Acid Ease (make sure it is the enzyme product, as there is an antacid by the same name). Acid Ease has no protease, and has some slippery elm & marshmallow root for more stomach coating. Says it is enzymes for “sensitive stimachs”. I am going to try it- waiting as it is backordered at local health store right now. Can order from Amazon, etc. too.

Norm Robillard
    Keymaster

I agree with Jaeme. Unencapsulated protease could be a problem especially on your lower esophagus tissue where the pH may be acidic- acid activates protease.

saffyhoward
    Participant

Hi Jaeme, thanks for the information on enzymes. I will definitely try acid ease if the digest gold enzymes I have ordered prove too irritating to my poor inflamed gut.
    Cheers!

saffyhoward
    Participant

Thanks for your comment Norm. I expect the protease will irritate my oesophogus as everything else does! At least I will know what the problem is and thanks to Jaeme have an alternative product to try.
    I’m really pleased I came across your book. It is an excellent resource and so is this forum. Have had improvement on the diet….bloating much less but still getting reflux so am thinking I’m not digesting even the easily digested carbs.
    Many thanks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.