ScottB
Participant

Hi Pete. Sorry to hear about your LPR. I’ve had it for about 4 years now.

I never took PPI medications (only once, for two weeks, in combination with antibiotics, because my doctor thought I had h-pylori). The Fast Tract diet helped minimize my symptoms, but it didn’t get rid of them.

However, I have found relief over the past month or so. I hope it continues. My stomach issues (a mild burning sensation an hour or two after meals) and my LPR dramatically improved after I began supplementing with a probiotic. I was hesitant to do this, even though I had heard others report success. But then I read reports that functional dyspepsia (a fancy term for indigestion of an unknown cause) is strongly linked to anxiety. I’ve always been a somewhat anxious person, and periodically experienced bouts of anxiety — since my early twenties. And I read other reports that probiotics have an anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effect. A co-worker of mine said that a probiotic helped his stomach issues. So I started taking the same probiotic he takes and it really helps. I’m not 100% cured, but it’s as close as I’ve ever been. I feel normal the vast majority of the time, and when I do notice the stomach burning, it’s very mild.

So I’d recommend the Fast Tract diet. However, I’ve noticed that too much fat seems to worsen my symptoms, so I keep my fat intake in the low to moderate range. I also eat a low-acid diet (like the Dropping Acid diet recommends). And I take the probiotic every day.

And if you often find yourself feeling anxious, try engaging in relaxing things. Some people like meditation. Personally, I’ve found meditation sometimes makes me depressed or anxious. Weird, I know. But something I really enjoy is taking long walks, especially around nature, and paying attention to my surroundings (sights, sounds, smells). So it’s a form of mindfulness, but I’m being mindful of my surroundings, not just sitting and paying attention to my breath.

I don’t think I’m allowed to post the name of the probiotic here. If you’d like it, just contact me directly.

I wish you the best of luck.

Scott