Skip to main content

Reply To: LPR, feeling more stressed eating low carbs

///Reply To: LPR, feeling more stressed eating low carbs
Reply To: LPR, feeling more stressed eating low carbs2015-05-20T20:21:59+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Laryngopharyngeal Reflux – LPR LPR, feeling more stressed eating low carbs Reply To: LPR, feeling more stressed eating low carbs

ScottB
Participant

Hi Ryan. Sorry to hear of your problems. I think you can gain weight on this diet if you include plenty of the safe (low-FP) carbs like Jasmine rice. That’s assuming they don’t worsen your symptoms. I don’t know anything about protein shakes.

I’ve had LPR for the past 3.5 years or so. My wife has had symptoms for the past 1.5 to 2 years, off and on.

I’ve been searching for an underlying cause for the LPR. I don’t believe it’s simply SIBO. I do feel better when I eat low-FP foods, but I still have issues with LPR. I have a few questions for you, if you have time:

1. When symptoms first appeared, were you still eating a very low carb diet? Also, were you eating a low-calorie diet at that time? (The answer is Yes for me, to both questions.) Restrictive eating (or eating disorders) have been linked to indigestion and reflux.

2. Do you have a history of anxiety/depression? (Yes for me.) Anxiety has been linked to gastrointestinal disorders, including indigestion.

3. Were you taking anti-inflammatory (NSAID) medications like aspiring, ibuprofen, naproxen when these symptoms first appeared? Or were you eating a lot of high-salicylate foods like extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil, or foods high in omega-3? (Yes for me, on the foods, but not on the medications.) Those foods are anti-inflammatory. Anti-inflammatory medications are a common cause of indigestion.

4. Does anyone you live with also have problems with reflux or indigestion? (Yes for me — my wife.) Indigestion has been linked to some infections, like h. pylori bacteria. I was positive for h. pylori on a blood test two months ago. Was treated with the standard triple therapy (two antibiotics and a PPI) for two weeks. No improvement.

Scott