Skip to main content

Reply To: Fat intolerance not addressed in book?

///Reply To: Fat intolerance not addressed in book?
Reply To: Fat intolerance not addressed in book?2015-01-13T06:11:35+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Fat intolerance not addressed in book? Reply To: Fat intolerance not addressed in book?

ftder
Participant

Agree with 49Barefoot that Dr. Robillard recommends keeping carb counts at 75 grams or less (I believe) per day, which is very conservative when compared even to standard guidelines for diabetics. He also advises if people have blood sugar issues, to avoid the higher GI foods and replace them with options that are safer. The intro diet has 1/2 cup of jasmine rice (and NOT even every day!). And the other higher GI foods are not that frequent.

You are right that fat does not cause SIBO. I can’t answer completely why some people have a much harder time with fats. There could be several underlying physiologic reasons. One of them however does have to do with SIBO itself, as I am sure you have read that the overgrown bacteria are known to deconjugate bile acids which are needed to digest fats. So it would follow that as the SIBO is better managed, there is more bile available to do its job. I certainly have seen my digestion slowly improving. Digestion of any fiber in a gut that is malabsorbing its food is going to be tricky, regardless of the diet you follow. The intro diet in this book does include raw salads. However, it is not a stone tablet but a guideline. I personally looked at the allowable foods and portions of foods (this is key) for the first two weeks in order to build my own intro diet.

Yes, veggies can drive gas symptoms, which is exactly why Dr. Robillard suggests controlling the amounts of low FP veggies that one consumes in a day. More than a cup of cabbage will create gas for me, but less than a one cup serving will not, especially if I calculate it in to my total FP for the day.

My concern since following some of the SIBO forums, is that many people expect a quick fix or perfect diet to manage a digestive scenario that took a lifetime to create. There are a lot of things that need to be in play to rebuild one’s gut health. Diet should be central to this, and could take quite some time to have the desired effect. I was impressed with the dramatic symptom relief I first acheived when following this diet, and further improvements are happening, but now at a slower pace. I think it is difficult to try to compare FODMAP, SCD and the Fast Track Approach, as they are quite different since FODMAP and SCD are qualitative, and Fast Track Diet is quantitative. Both might be usefull, but I find Fast Track Diet more inclusive.