ftder
Participant

Regarding constipation and insoluble fiber options, even if we do find one that is acceptable and does not cause fermentation, is the idea here, that we are to “fake it, until we make it”? Are we replacing our depleted, water-carrying gut microbes with fiber to move the stools, until, hopefully we have more microbes in the right count and diversity to do the job of helping to move stools that they are supposed to? Or, should we assume we will never regain this level of diversity and will always need to supplement?

According to the website gutsense.org, lifelong fiber consumption, improper bowel habits, and antibiotic exposure change the physiology of the GI, and the microbial content of the stool such that constipation will be a life long struggle, even if one lowers fiber in their diet and increases fat. The author wants you to buy his supplement to move stools (I cant take this it would cause a lot of inflammation and pain) and the author suggests ongoing supplementation with magnesium is not sustainable. What is someone with IBS-C supposed to do long term?

I would LOVE to hear from anyone with IBS-C (Methane) that has had success with the FTD in weaning off supplements for constipation, or who is successfully using the tools that Norm has suggested: hydration, fats, cellulose from vegetables ALONE. These of course do help! But, thusfar, this has not been enough for me. I am only 1 month into the diet and expect I have a ways to go. But I would really love to get off supps.

Another question I have, is for people with chronic health conditions as a result of SIBO, is it possible that SIBO sufferers with IBS-C are magnesium defficient, and that supplementation with an absorbable form of magnesium may result in positive changes in stool transit time once appropriate magnesium levels have been acheived? I have read anecdotal reports that suggest this. If this idea has some merrit, then supplementing with high quality magnesium may also provide some relief. I also wonder if mag stores are depleted due to SIBO-related loss of vitamin and mineral stores.