Skip to main content

Reply To: Interstitial Cystitis

Reply To: Interstitial Cystitis2014-11-13T18:52:44+00:00
ftder
Participant

Happiness, I agree with much of what you are saying. Dr. Robillard has said repeatedly that gluten could be an issue for some people. He also has indicated that NO ONE is required to eat splenda! Those are there as an option for people that tollerate it and want sweets. My holistic doc has even allowed Stevia for those that tollerate it (since you have mentioned how different we all are I thought I would point that out!). I personally would never eat any of that!

I think our rabit and fence and garden metaphors get a bit tricky. It is possible for many that just lowering the microbial burden by removing the food source may prove to relieve symptoms and clear up confusion for some about food sensitivities. After reading basically this entire forum and all the reviews, it seems quite clear that for many people, what they thought were food sensitivities (take dairy, for example) just turned out to be that what they were eating (whole grains, resistant starch) combined with the traditionally suspect food-(low lactose dairy for example), was feeding their microbial overgrowth and it was not at all clear that there actually were any issues with say, specific kinds of dairy, or eggs or even wheat products! In the same way that one can in essence “de-bulk” candida overgrowth, to get our systems operating better, it is possible that one can lower microbial overgrowth in the small intestine through avoiding the things Dr. Robillard suggests to avoid or limit, thereby dramatically improving digestive function and optimizig digestion without the need to address food sensitivities or supposed immune reactions to foods. It would be an easy intervention to follow these guidelines (avoiding gluten and sweeteners, and maybe initially fruit and dairy) for 3 months before deciding to look into immune issues and food sensitivities.

Dr. Robillard:
“In addition to the overall recommendations in the book, here are five recommendations that are missing in some of the other diets [Paleo, GAPS, SCD, Low Carb, FODMAP] to control SIBO and limit symptoms:

Limit high amylose rices – high FP. There are lower amylose rice available that are safe for gut issues.
Limit high amylose tubers – high FP. There are other low FP tubers such as parsnips, and several potato varieties available.
Limit sucrose and high fructose fruits – high FP. These can be substituted with many Low FP fruits such as strawberries, cantaloupe, and others. Consume other (high FP) fruits, such as apples and bananas as small wedges or single slices. Switch out high FP sucrose with Low FP sweeteners such as dextrose, erythritol (the one safe sugar alcohol) etc.
Limit dairy with excess lactose – high FP. Acceptable alternatives include cream and a variety of fermented dairy products.
Limit fiber and sugar alcohols (except erythritol) which are poorly digested yet fermentable potentially driving SIBO and symptoms.”