Skip to main content

Reply To: After 8 yrs. of Nexium, breakthrough symptoms

///Reply To: After 8 yrs. of Nexium, breakthrough symptoms
Reply To: After 8 yrs. of Nexium, breakthrough symptoms2015-04-29T17:13:42+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD After 8 yrs. of Nexium, breakthrough symptoms Reply To: After 8 yrs. of Nexium, breakthrough symptoms

Anonymous

I have taken a ppi for 8 years-mainly Nexium – http://www.drugs.com/nexium.html or Protonix. When I was 23 I started having sore throats and losing my voice. My doctor looked at my throat and of course it was very red so he gave me several different runs of anti-biotics thinking I had some kind of URI…I was even tested for mono at one point. As my symptoms got worse, I started to realize it was more of a heartburn situation that was causing my problems (college cafeteria food did not help). My Dr. decided that I probably had too much stomach acid and maybe a little Hiatal Hernia that was causing GERD (never ordered any tests like a endoscopy or stomach acid level tests). I still had many breakthrough symptoms over the years but generally was able to manage the reflux with diet and the Nexium. However, in the last couple of years I started having other digestive issues as well; occaisional diarrea, stomach upsets, gas, bloating etc. I have also suffered from chronic moderate to severe tension headaches. In 2009-2010 I started to get fed up with the way I felt and started Accupuncture and Rolfing treatments which helped greatly with how I was feeling. Things really turned around through when I stumbled onto Brenda Watson’s Road to Perfect Health show on PBS. I immediately started taking a high dose probiotic, fiber supplements, omega 3′s and digestive enzymes and started to feel great. I am now trying to wean myself off the Nexium in hopes that i won’t have to take this expensive medication for the rest of my life. since starting Brenda Watson’s H.O.P.E. formula, my headaches and other digestive complaints have pretty much ceased so I am now focusing on getting the acid under control.
My doctor also told me there was no such thing as acid rebound after stopping ppi’s. Yeah right!