Skip to main content

Reply To: Baking & Fast Tract

///Reply To: Baking & Fast Tract
Reply To: Baking & Fast Tract2014-08-15T13:51:59+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Recipes Baking & Fast Tract Reply To: Baking & Fast Tract

Irina_RN
Participant

Hi All,

I’ll be baking the brownies today but I got inspired yesterday and revised my chocolate chip cookies to be FDT friendly. I used to eat these all the time!
The recipe is from Zenbelly (http://zenbellyblog.com/2013/01/05/chocolate-chip-cookies-like-you-remember-em/) with a few substitutions and changes.

Let me know what you think!

FP value: 2.92 FP / cookie (with maple syrup); 2.43 FP / cookie (without maple syrup)

Ingredients:
1/4 C softened unsalted butter(see note below)
1/4 C dextrose (see note below)
1 egg, room temperature (see note below)
2 teaspoons (t) vanilla extract
2 tablespoons (T) maple syrup (see note below)
1 Cup (C) almond or walnut flour
1/2 C Tapioca starch
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t sea salt
1/2 C chocolate chips (see note below)

Method (I changed the method from the original only slightly; I tried both and I prefer mine):
1. preheat oven to 350F. Line 2 9″x13″ baking sheets with parchment paper
2. in a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter (smoosh them together using the back of a spoon) until mixture is homogenous
3. add the egg, vanilla extract, and maple syrup. Whisk together (you’ll still have small clumps of butter; that’s fine)
4 add the nut flour, tapioca starch, baking soda, and sea salt. Combine together until homogenous (you don’t want any to see any clumps of starch or baking soda or flour). I use a whisk to combine
5. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Drop the batter onto the parchment lined baking sheet using a cookie scoop or tablespoon. Have only 12 cookies per baking pan (you don’t want them to crowd each other)
7. Bake for 10-12 min (this depends on your oven, mine are ready after 8 minutes). You’re looking for the bottom edges to be slightly browned
8. let cool in the baking pan for 10 min. Then cool completely on a baking rack (if you can hold out that long!)

Notes:
Butter & Egg: Its extremely important for the butter to be softened and the egg to be at room temp (it’ll keep the cookies from drying out after they’re baked). If you forget to take them out ahead of time, like I always do, you can microwave 1/4C refrigerated butter for 10 sec and put the egg in a bowl with warm water for 5 min to come to room temp.

Maple Syrup: I haven’t found a suitable FDT alternative for maple syrup. There’s not a lot in there, I believe it’s used as a flavoring agent. You can omit it if you want but the cookie may lack a bit of moisture if you do. If you omit maple syrup, try adding a bit of almond milk/heavy cream if you find the cookies come out dry.

Almond flour: I use walnut meal instead since I have 30 pounds of it at home and it has a lower FP value but almond flour may be easier to source.

Chocolate Chips: I highly recommend the “Enjoy Life” Dark chocolate chips because they have only 3 ingredients (cocoa butter, cocoa mass, and brown sugar). I based my FP calculations on this brand of chocolate chips; be aware that your FP calculations might change if you use different brands.