Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A GI of processed Jasmine rice? Reply To: GI of processed Jasmine rice?

AndreaS
Participant

Hi Norm, hi Lana and fellow FTDers,

Jasmine rice flour indeed exists. Unfortunately, so far I cannot provide much information. I just happened to buy flour here in Austria and was pleasantly surprised to read later that it was made from “original Hom Mali Reis”. 100g is listed as having 80g carbs with 0g fiber. The appearance is white with a hint of yellow, no dark spots. Looks like it is what we FTD folks crave for 🙂
For reference, the label is “Bio-leben”. The product is named “100% Fairtrade Bio Reismehl”. I bought it in Austria in a major supermarket.

About rice milk: None of the available products I have checked so far disclosed the type of rice. However, I looked up DIY recipes on the web. Haven’t yet tried it but it should be fairly simple to make rice milk from Jasmine rice. I’ll definitely try it once I finished my left-overs.

A warning for people like me: I bought Jasmine rice from a relatively trusted source. Only much later I realized that it apparently was brown rice. I made a photo that compares it with a white Jasmine rice: https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/587x594q90/539/wGyeRf.jpg
The brown type needs 2.5 cups of water and cooks for at least 40 minutes. The white type needs 2 cups of water and cooks within 20 minutes. The amount of fiber of the white one is not provided. The brown one has 2.2% DF. I am pretty sure the white one has less.
The differences in cooking time of various brands I find pretty alarming. Nevertheless, the higher glycemic indices of Jasmine rice were probably observed with the typical white 20 minute cooking type.

Thanks Lana for your interesting reply and the link to Martin Chaplin’s pages. I agree that the water in the rice milk should have positive effects. And I hope it does 🙂

About resistant starch: Do I understand you correctly that you say that resistant starch is more likely to build via retrogradation in flour due to the larger surface? That sounds reasonable to me. Unfortunately so. I was always worried about the effects of milling grains to flour!