Skip to main content

Reply To: Sibo and Fatigue

///Reply To: Sibo and Fatigue
Reply To: Sibo and Fatigue2014-05-29T13:39:36+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Rosacea, SIBO and Diet Sibo and Fatigue Reply To: Sibo and Fatigue

Norm Robillard
Keymaster

Dysbiosis, SIBO, GI infections, microbiota changes and IBS symptoms are all linked to CFS supporting the role of leaky gut in this condition. An inflammatory response to LPS is likely one factor, but I think there are many others. A whole variety of proinflammatory cytokines (CD26, CD28, IL6, TNF alpha) increase and may activate the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis. IL6 and TNF alpha when administered to people cause “intense fatigue”.

I think there may be several other factors (besides LPS) involved. E. coli and Prevotella (both produce LPS) can be increased in CFS, but so can Enterococcus and Streptococcus (don’t produce LPS). Chronic fatigue is also linked to other conditions such as Ankylosing spondylitis where inflammatory responses to a variety of other molecules (such as starch-degrading enzymes) are involved. Oxidative stress has been proposed as a contributor with a depletion of L-glutathione. Hydrogen sulfide and mitochondrial dysfunction are also on the list of potential contributors.
Some positive results have been reported (though I have not reviewed the primary data) with probiotics such as Lactic acid bacteria, Bifidobacteria (especially B. infantis) and Saccharamyces boulardii. Interestly, these are all non-LPS producing organisms. Perhaps they compete and reduce the numbers of gram negative LPS-producing bacteria?

Good luck and please report back if you learn more about this topic!
Check out this great review where these ideas are explored: http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/7/1/79