Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Fast Tract Diet Q&A Calculating FP Reply To: Calculating FP

Norm Robillard
Keymaster

Great question Kc. When sugar alcohols are added to foods, by law they need to be listed on the label so those are easy. But naturally occurring sugar alcohols in foods are a different story and the data is very limited here. Even the question of whether or not there are any (natural) sugar alcohols in a given food can be challenging. One thing that might help is this. I understand that the standard dietary fiber test method used in the US (I don’t have the AOAC official test method number handy, but could likely find it) for determining total dietary fiber (the results of this test are listed on the food labels/nutritional fact sheets) includes sugar alcohols in the fiber fraction. In other words, sugar alcohols might be included in the total dietary fiber amount on the label for foods sold in the US. Now is this methodology used in all cases? I’m not sure, but that is the best I can do for the moment. I plan on digging into this further in the future. Hopefully some analytical chemists with more expertise in this area will chime in and enlighten us further.