Skip to main content

Reply To: LES, foods & strenghthening exercise

///Reply To: LES, foods & strenghthening exercise
Reply To: LES, foods & strenghthening exercise2014-04-03T09:52:18+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD LES, foods & strenghthening exercise Reply To: LES, foods & strenghthening exercise

Pompadur
Participant

Just another one link

“Respiratory physiotherapy can increase lower esophageal sphincter pressure in GERD patients” Renata Carvalho de Miranda Chavesemail address, Milena Suesada, Fabiane Polisel, Cláudia Cristina de Sá, Tomas Navarro-Rodriguez
Received 21 May 2012; accepted 29 August 2012. published online 01 October 2012.

As i understand (sorry for my bad english 🙁 ) in the study they use some trainer like POWERbreathe or smth. But in the end they conclude:
IMT (Inspiratory muscle training) increased LES pressure in patients with GERD, in both the treatment and sham groups, after an eight-week program. Although there was no statistically significant difference between groups, suggesting the pressure increase in LES occurs regardless of the resistance load of the threshold IMT.

It means that even without physiotherapy trainer excersises must help!
And it is rather easy to find “Inspiratory muscle training” in YouTube! Finally it seems that i found something like instructions…

And one more newr study – also looks promising:

Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2013 Dec;305(11):G862-7. doi: 10.1152/ajpgi.00054.2013. Epub 2013 Oct 10.
Inspiratory muscle training improves antireflux barrier in GERD patients.
Nobre e Souza MÂ1, Lima MJ, Martins GB, Nobre RA, Souza MH, de Oliveira RB, dos Santos AA.
Abstract
The crural diaphragm (CD) is an essential component of the esophagogastric junction (EGJ), and inspiratory exercises may modify its function. This study’s goal is to verify if inspiratory muscle training (IMT) improves EGJ motility and gastroesophageal reflux (GER). Twelve GER disease [GERD; 7 males, 20-47 yr, 9 esophagitis, and 3 nonerosive reflex disease (NERD)] and 7 healthy volunteers (3 males, 20-41 yr) performed esophageal pH monitoring, manometry, and heart rate variability (HRV) studies. A 6-cm sleeve catheter measured average EGJ pressure during resting, peak inspiratory EGJ pressures during sinus arrhythmia maneuver (SAM) and inhalations under 17-, 35-, and 70-cmH2O loads (TH maneuvers), and along 1 h after a meal. GERD patients entered a 5-days-a-week IMT program. One author scored heartburn and regurgitation before and after IMT. IMT increased average EGJ pressure (19.7 ± 2.4 vs. 29.5 ± 2.1 mmHg; P < 0.001) and inspiratory EGJ pressure during SAM (89.6 ± 7.6 vs. 125.6 ± 13.3 mmHg; P = 0.001) and during TH maneuvers. The EGJ-pressure gain across 35- and 70-cmH2O loads was lower for GERD volunteers. The number and cumulative duration of the transient lower esophageal sphincter relaxations decreased after IMT. Proximal progression of GER decreased after IMT but not the distal acid exposure. Low-frequency power increased after IMT and the higher its increment the lower the increment of supine acid exposure. IMT decreased heartburn and regurgitation scores. In conclusion, IMT improved EGJ pressure, reduced GER proximal progression, and reduced GERD symptoms. Some GERD patients have a CD failure, and IMT may prove beneficial as a GERD add-on treatment.

So we have few small studies here. All rather promising and they all make a sense that it worth trying exercising.

I would love to read also the article about osteopathic manipulations (that i mentioned earlier), but i am not sure that the full text of the article contains the exact technic they used in the study. And as it costs 35$ i hesitate 😀