Skip to main content

Reply To: Raw Unmodified Potato Starch- Digestive Challenges

///Reply To: Raw Unmodified Potato Starch- Digestive Challenges
Reply To: Raw Unmodified Potato Starch- Digestive Challenges2014-02-28T06:04:22+00:00

Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Resistant Starch Friend or Foe? Raw Unmodified Potato Starch- Digestive Challenges Reply To: Raw Unmodified Potato Starch- Digestive Challenges

Laura P.
Participant

About 3 weeks ago I decided to try the potato starch that seems to be very popular right now with many diet bloggers. I started off with 1 TBS per day and worked up to 4 TBS each day. Diarrhea quickly developed, and the more potato starch I consumed, the worse it seemed to get.

I had my last potato starch a week ago, so I was on it for two weeks. I really could not understand why potato starch was causing such a problem. Nobody had mentioned it. (I was taking the unmodified raw potato starch, Bob’s Red Mill, if it matters.) So I did some research trying to understand what had gone wrong, and that led me to this site.

Last week-end I was pretty leery of eating anything at all. I finally had some scrambled eggs with a little sour cream Saturday night. I’ve been avoiding almost all carbohydrates this past week except for sauerkraut yesterday and today. Today was the first day that I have had a solid stool in almost 3 weeks.

I don’t know if I have SIBO or not. I have a history of difficult bouts with diarrhea, but have not had an episode quite this bad in years.

Anyway, I thought I would add this to the conversation as another data point on potato starch. I do wonder if I could get to the point that I could try potato starch again? How would I go about that?