Fast Tract Diet for SIBO Forum Heartburn and GERD After 8 yrs. of Nexium, breakthrough symptoms Reply To: After 8 yrs. of Nexium, breakthrough symptoms

JI
Participant

Hi,
I was diagnosed with GERD back in April. Prilosec and Nexium did not work at all for relieving my symptoms. I tried eating very low fat and low acid foods and still had symptoms. The GI doctor kept telling me that the Nexium would work over time. That did not happen; instead I developed small intestine bacterial overgrowth. I told my doctor that I wanted to get off Nexium because low stomach acid can allow bacteria to thrive. She told me to take Zantac as a step down medicine. I quickly reduced the Zantac dose while following the fast tract diet. I did get some intense acid breakthrough but it subsided after about a week. It’s weird how the Nexium did not help me yet caused flare-ups when discontinued.

I am no doctor and can only speak from personal experience. I suggest you read the Fast Tract Digestion Heartburn book and follow the dietary guidelines. By doing so, I finally have relief from my acid reflux! You will want to wean yourself off of the Nexium slowly. You can get some good advice on this topic by going to the People’s Pharmacy website: http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/ I take chewable DGL licorice tablets before meals and ginger capsules after meals. I believe that both of these supplements help me. Good luck! I hope that relief is on your way soon!